Forum Discussion

KellyLyons1
Qrew Trainee
11 months ago

Formula help combining quarters/summing

I have been working on this for days and think I have officially lost my mind.  I must be overthinking this.  Any help is greatly appreciated!

I would like to combine (add the totals) for quarters that I have grouped using this formula:

If(
Month([Monthly stat])<=3,"Q1",
Month([Monthly stat])<=6,"Q2",
Month([Monthly stat])<=9,"Q3",
Month([Monthly stat])<=12,"Q4",
"")

I want to add up Q1 + Q2, then display that total. Then add Q1, Q2, and Q3 to display that total, and so on.  I want to be able to compare each quarter of the current year to previous years' quarter totals. Sort of like "At this time in 2020 or 2018 etc, our total payments received were ... $00000.

So basically a running total for the current year where I can filter it to display whatever I need for this year, and a way to compare previous years to it. 

Does this make sense?

------------------------------
Kelly Lyons

2 Replies

• Hej Kelly!

Are you trying to show this total in a single field, or multiple fields?
    If it's a single one, do you plan on using other control to filter it, or would this be for a report?

Lordsman Burgos
  • Somewhat makes sense, but I'm not yet visualizing the end result you are describing.

Are you able to create a Summary Report (not a Table Report) where you group the rows by Year and use cross-tabs to group your Quarter formula?

Otherwise, you can achieve "running totals" with Formula Queries, but I suggest try to find other solutions first!

Brian Seymour