Forum Discussion

CarolMcconnell
Qrew Captain
3 months ago
Solved

Get latest child record on parent record

I have a situation in a new QuickBase and I have a table where the user(s) will enter the name and date when a record is assigned and then the subsequent transfers.  What I need is to pull the user of the latest transfer onto the parent record.  

What is the best way to do this?

------------------------------
Carol Mcconnell
  • There is more than one way to do this. Here is one of the two ways.  It sounds to me that you have a Relationship with a Parent Table of "Records" and one record has many Transfers.

You can add a summary field on that relationship to summarize the maximum of the Record ID field. Call that field  [Record ID# of Most Recent Transfer]

Then do a reverse relationship as we call it where one transfer has many records. I know that sounds backwards.  But when you go to choose the reference field on the relationship, do not let QuickBase create one for you but rather select the field  [Record ID# of Most Recent Transfer].

Then just like a normal relationship just look up any field do you want including the user ID of the most recent transfer and while you're there maybe you also want the most recent transfer date, or any other fields from that most recent transfer record.  

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

2 Replies

• There is more than one way to do this. Here is one of the two ways.  It sounds to me that you have a Relationship with a Parent Table of "Records" and one record has many Transfers.

You can add a summary field on that relationship to summarize the maximum of the Record ID field. Call that field  [Record ID# of Most Recent Transfer]

Then do a reverse relationship as we call it where one transfer has many records. I know that sounds backwards.  But when you go to choose the reference field on the relationship, do not let QuickBase create one for you but rather select the field  [Record ID# of Most Recent Transfer].

Then just like a normal relationship just look up any field do you want including the user ID of the most recent transfer and while you're there maybe you also want the most recent transfer date, or any other fields from that most recent transfer record.  

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

CarolMcconnell
      Qrew Captain

Thanks Mark.  This worked.  I had the first part just not the second.

Carol Mcconnell