Forum Discussion

ThomasOtten1
Qrew Member
7 months ago

Go to report with custom filters Formula URL or Report Link

Hey Qrew,

I have a question that feels like it would be really easy but the lack of documentation around formula URLs is complicating it.

I want a button in a form in table A, that takes me to a custom report (report 11) in table B, only showing records where FID 83 in table B is equal to [Related Deal ID] in table A. I have this formula URL:

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_PROPERTY_METRICS] & "?a=q&qid=11

Which takes me to the right report, but no filter on it. I edited it with this information:

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_PROPERTY_METRICS] & "?a=q&qid=11&_fid_83=" & [Related Deal ID]

But it just gets me to the same report, no filter. I'm not sure how to feed the following query into the URL either:

"{83.EX.'" & [Related Deal ID] & "'}"

All the prior discussions seem to circle back to "use a report link", but, while the report link does lead to the right table, with the right filtering, I can't figure out how to get the right report displayed. I would have to edit the default columns to show the columns I want to see, which I don't want to do. I could do the "show records in form" option in the form rules, then have the users click on "full report", but I want it to just be a button.

So does anyone know any of the following:

- 1: how to feed filters into a URL to a specific report

- 2: how to edit a report link field to link to a specific report

- 3: where I might find documentation around what parameters I can feed into a URL to manipulate it? All the QB help articles are frustratingly introductory. 

------------------------------
Thomas Otten

5 Replies

• I'm not at my computer now so bear with me while I try to just answer on my iPhone while I'm waiting for takeout dinner.

no problem. 

go to the target table and make your perfect report using ask the <ask the user> filters. 

run the report, answer the question and observe the URL. He will see that it has a suffix like

&v0=MyAnswer

so never mind wishful thinking for perfect documentation, a lot of time, and Quickbase, we just monkey see monkey do. So you just have to create a URL string that will make the same string that you see in the URL.

by the way, if you had a ask the user report with three questions, then the extra parameters would be

&v0=
    &v1=
    &v2=

Quickbase likes to start counting from zero instead of one.

so the URL  string would be like this

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_PROPERTY_METRICS] & "?a=q&qid=99&v0=" & URLEncode([my field with the answer])

obviously changed the 99 to the QID of your report.  

I am not sure if that fully answers your question as you also asked a different question about linking our report link field to a certain report. If that was really your question, you just go to the form where the report link field is and set a report to use there. Whatever report you use will pick up the extra filter as defined by the matching conditions in the report link field itself.

set a report to use there. Whatever report you use will pick up the extra filter as defined by the matching conditions in the report link field itself.

This was mostly dictated so feel free to post back if you have any more questions.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

DonLarson
      Qrew Commander

Mark,

I am trying to make this work with a Report Variable instead of polluting the table with yet another field.  When I have over the link in the first report it sure looks correct but when I click it, the variable is not being passed.  I end up on the second report on the Ask the User screen.

Ever tried this variation?

Don Larson
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

.. sorry never tried making a Report Formula as a hyperlink to run an <ask the user> report.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com