Forum Discussion

frnmj
Qrew Member
2 years ago

How to import Excel spreadsheet and prevent duplicates

Hello, I'm trying to create a table  where the records are from an Excel spreadsheet and will be updated from time to time by import.

The problem is that the data in the spreadsheet that we download doesn't have any unique identification, it just consists of names and other details like dates and refund amount. 

------------------------------
frnmj

1 Reply

• Is the report from another database? If so, see if you can get that databases key field included in the report. Then you can create a field in your QB table called 'Key Field for Import', make that unique and import on that field.

If you don't have a key field on the export, then the only way I have found to do this is 'create' my own key field.

I made an excel sheet template, which looked exactly like my sheet I want to import, except I add a column on the end called 'Key Field'. This key is some combination of your columns that will definitely make it unique. Maybe it is Date+Client+Amount. In that example, you would get a unique string provided that the client never paid you the same amount twice on the same date. 

Then every time I goy my excel sheet, I simply quickly copied it to my template, and the import my template matching key field.

Mike Tamoush