Forum Discussion

HagosHagos
Qrew Member
2 years ago
Solved

If I'm using a shared value from field #1 in field #2 (different tables), how can I link them?

Good morning QuickBase Community, Question: If I'm using a shared value from field #1 in field #2 (different tables), how can I link them? Your help here would be greatly appreciated. I am a Data...
    2 years ago
    I rarely recommend this, but your situation is one use case where I find a looping relationship makes the most sense. A looping relationship is a relationship where there is only 1 table. So, your Employee table would have a relationship to itself. Once you've done that, you'll have a field called 'Related Employee' and you can just change the name to 'Related Manager' or something similar. This way, you would simply select the current Manager for that Employee.

Alternately, you could have something a bit more complex where you would be able to track the Employee's growth with the company. For this, I would setup 3 tables:
    • Employees
    • Roles
    • Role Assignments
    For the relationships, Employees and Roles would both be parent tables to the Role Assignments table, with Employees needing 2 relationships - one for the actual Employee and one for the Manager.

------------------------------
    Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    /
    ------------------------------