Forum Discussion

DrewHarms
Qrew Member
2 months ago

Importing Data with relationship field data

Hi,

I have two tables, A and B that have a one-to-many relationship where A is the one and B is the many.  What I wanted to accomplish was importing data from an excel spreadsheet for table B but also importing the corresponding record ID for Table A.  I noticed in the import the relationship fields don't appear.

And suggestions on how I could accomplish this?

Thank you

------------------------------
Drew Harms

4 Replies

• You'll need to do a vlookup to match the 'Record ID#' from Table A based on some match value in Table B that you can lookup. The idea is that you need to get the Record ID# of Table A to import into 'Related Table A Record'

So lets say you have Projects and Tasks and you're importing Tasks, you need to find the value of 'Related Project' using the "Project Name" in your task data. You would export the Project Data including Project Name and Record ID# as a column and do the vlookup to match project name to project name to get the RID value to import. 

Chayce Duncan
      DrewHarms
      Qrew Member

Thanks for the response, Tasks into Projects is precisely what I'm doing.  Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I have the value for the record IDs in the Excel spreadsheet I'm importing already.  However the Project - Record ID# field is not selectable from the import screen, none of the relational fields are actually.

Drew Harms
        ChayceDuncan
        Qrew Captain

You should be importing into the reference field that defines the relationship - so in all likelihood that is 'Related Project'

Chayce Duncan