Forum Discussion

KellyLyons1
Qrew Trainee
3 years ago

In app messaging - replies?

I have set up a messages table in my app, but I cannot figure out how to create a "reply to this message" button.  
For example, I send a message to another user in my app asking for an update on a project.  Is there a way that the member can reply to my message and keep all the messages together as we reply to each other?

------------------------------
Kelly Lyons

4 Replies

• A message can be related to itself.  By that I mean the table of messages can have a relationship to itself.  So you can set up that relationship and when a message is added it will end up being a child of the original message.

The Relationship is a little funny to look at once you build it but the best thing to do is just try it.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      KellyLyons1
      Qrew Trainee
      Hi Mark!

So I have created the table relationship Messages to Messages, but can't figure out how to create the connection to "reply to this message" .  Any ideas?

Thanks@
      Kelly

Kelly Lyons
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        The add message button is what you want to use.  Just rename it to be "Reply".

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com
  • An alternate solution that might be able to work for you is for each Message to just have a logged Multi-line field.

Your 'Reply' button could just open a pop up in edit mode, in a new form with only that notes field. So old notes would be logged, and users would add another note to the bottom.

Not exactly 'replying' to the message, but just another work around.

Mike Tamoush