Forum Discussion

RichardChagnon
Qrew Trainee
5 months ago

Issue witth Combine text two levels up

Hi

I have 3 tables Office < Activities < Barriers encountered 

When our staff evaluated an office they log an activity and (among other things) check off any barriers that office has to the project. 

I can summarize the text  'Barrier short name'  to activities, but I can't text summarize the text up to  the office - the  field shows blank.

Has anyone done this or have a work around ?

thanks

------------------------------
Richard Chagnon
richard.chagnon@northwestern.edu
Northwestern University
Chicago IL

4 Replies

• Are you saying that you end up with a field on activities [Combined Text Barriers Encountered], and that DOES have text in it. But when you then make a combined text field On the office [Combined Text of Combined Text Barriers Encountered], it is blank?

If so, that sounds strange indeed. Would want to look into the relationships to be sure each one has the children you expect, and then look into the combined text fields to be sure they are combining the filed you are expecting.

Mike Tamoush
  • It should work. On the relationship between offices and activities we should be able to summarize the combined text summary field that you first summarized up from barriers up to activities. Is that what you're doing?

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      RichardChagnon
      Qrew Trainee

Thanks for the  quick response gents.

Since I'm on a deadline I just created a new relationship Office < Barriers. Which works for now.  I'll update this thread when I have the time after the deadline

Richard Chagnon
      Northwestern University
      Chicago IL
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

The direct relationship will not work unless you have a way to auto populate the related office field in Barriers.  The best practice is to roll up twice, in steps.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com