Forum Discussion

SeanW
Qrew Member
10 months ago

Limiting Lookup Fields

Hello,

I am trying to have a user type in their email address in a form on Orientation, and depending if their email exist in another table called people, have the lookup field picker only show their information.  Right now, I can't figure out how to limit the email lookup field to only their information.  Any help?

Thanks

------------------------------
Sean White

3 Replies

• I am not sure I totally understand your question, but I think you're saying you want to user to enter in their email address and automatically pull down look up information but you don't want them to be able to browse all of the possible drop-down choices.

What you can do n do is make a relationship based on the field called email address mirror. This will be a formula equal to the email address field, which is the data entry field.   When the user tabs out of the data entry field,  the formula field, which is just a mirror of that will populate and look up information will come down.

Of course, if the user knows that his buddy is somewhere in the table and types in their information as an email address, it will pull theirs down but there sure are a lot of email addresses in this world, so just wild guessing it's not likely to be efficient hacking method. 

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

SeanW
      Qrew Member

That is exactly what I am looking for.

I am just a little confused.  Do I need to create a separate formula - email field or formula text field and have the code look something like "if ([Entered Email] = [Previously recorded email], [Previously recorded email] = [Entered Email])?

Sorry I am just confused on the linking the record picker aspect to a mirror

Sean W
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

I am Cycling today, so my answers will be a little slow. But can you tell me if your table of contacts has the key field being the email address? I guess I made that assumption in my answer.  

if that was the case, then he would make a relationship where one contact has many other table records and base the relation in a formula email field. 

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com