Forum Discussion

BaileyDesormeau
Qrew Member
6 months ago

Locking a field that uses time now()

I am creating a check out/in process for assets coming and going from an inventory yard. Personnel will use the check out/in form to track the movement of the assets. Part of the process is logging the time of the check out/in. I was hoping to have the time automatically filled when the check box for check out was marked as true. However I am noticing if I use the formula if([Check Out]=True,now()), it constantly updates the time if i visit the form again and it updates the field everywhere it is used. Is it possible to lock down the time the first time the check out box is marked as true on the specific record I am editing?

Thanks so much!

------------------------------
Bailey Desormeaux

2 Replies

• You will want to use a form rule instead of a formula. So you want your date/time field to be a of type date/time instead of formula-date/time. 

On your form then - you would make a form rule that says when [Check Out] is checked, change the value of your date/time field to 'Now'. On the form you can make the field read only, and this will freeze it with the current date/time as your intending. 

Chayce Duncan
      BaileyDesormeau
      Qrew Member

Thank you so very much for this! I did not know of this possibility. It worked beautifully and simply.

Bailey Desormeaux