Forum Discussion

JessicaMatenga
Qrew Trainee
9 months ago

Pipeline Emails via Outlook

Hi

I have set up a single pipeline for one user which is working, however, I need to set up multiple users with their own email.  How do I connect a pipeline to a user? There is also one user who had two email addresses, I am assuming two pipelines but need to know how to set up in QB.

Thanks

------------------------------
Jessica Matenga

9 Replies

• It's not clear to me what you are hoping to achieve, but likely you'd want some record to contain a User or email value. Then, you'd include that field in a single Pipeline. The email address would then vary as necessary on the given record and feed dynamically into the Pipeline.

Or put another way, suppose you had hundreds of Users in your App … you *wouldn't* want hundreds of nearly identical Pipelines (one Pipeline for each User). Instead, just feed a common Pipeline the dynamic data. I'd imagine the triggering event defined in "Step A" of your Pipeline you'd specify a User or email address in the "Fields for Subsequent Steps."

Oftentimes, we'll create a formula field on a given table to display a given User email for debugging and using in reports. For example, 

// Formula - Email Field Type
    UserToEmail([Your User Field])

Hopefully that helps or gives you some ideas!

Brian Seymour

JessicaMatenga
      Qrew Trainee

Hi Brian

Thank you for your response.  It would more likely be max 10 x users requiring to email directly out of QB.  If I create the formula email field type, how does the pipeline know which of the outlook accounts to use.  In Step A I have added to the Query the Record Owner > Email see image below

the email address for the user

Each user will still have its own pipeline but I was wondering if this is too clunky for the system or is there an easier way. 

Jessica Matenga
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

Jessica, because you need to make that "Connection" to the Outlook I'm fairly sure that you need separate Pipelines per user.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com
  • Hey Jessica, it sounds like you are making progress with Mark! However, to me it just doesn't "feel right" setting up one Pipeline per User. I'm not sure what the equivalent of "code smell" is in a no/low-code platform, haha :) But, maybe this is a fine approach for your project.

Anyway, I wanted to point out a Pipelines alternative … which may or may not be solution in your case (or maybe you've already considered it). Presumably, a change to some record is triggering your proposed Pipeline, right? As opposed to a scheduled Pipeline?

If so, in the Settings of a given Quickbase Table (click the gear icon in the top-left), you'll see a "Notifications, subscriptions, & reminders" section (on the right) housing settings to send emails. If you set up a new email "Notification," then scroll to the bottom and fly open the "Advanced options" section you'll see additional info. In the "Operations" section, set the radio to "Only when single thing records change (e.g., Add, Edit)" and yet another option will appear to set the "From Address" to "The user listed in the field:" which is a dropdown. There you can specify a User field from your QB record that triggers the email (instead of notify @ quickbase.com).

Again, I'm not sure if that's feasible in your use case, but in the past I've used this feature with success. Worth noting, when recipients of this email hit "reply," they'd be replying to the User in the dropdown too.

See screenshot!

Brian Seymour