Forum Discussion

AmyGosz2
Qrew Cadet
4 years ago

Pipeline Ownership

We like the idea of using Pipelines, but am concerned about ownership if the person who created the Pipeline is no longer with our company or not available to make a change. I did see an answer similar to this situation regarding Automations. The response suggested created an "automation user' account and giving access to that account. Would this same solution need to used for Pipelines as well? How can someone other than the Pipeline creator gain access to a particular Pipeline?

------------------------------
Amy Gosz

12 Replies

• We set up a generic user account specifically for creating pipelines. 3 of us have access to it so we can all see all the pipelines regardless of who built them. When we need to view pipelines for any reason, we just log in to that 'user' account.

Amy Gosz
      DwightMunson1
      Qrew Assistant Captain

Setting up a generic account to manage pipelines is definitely a way to go. 

We had someone leave a few months ago, and if you have the permissions to switch between users you can export the pipeline to YAML, then edit the slug and import it into your own.

Dwight Munson
        AdamKrzyzanek
        Qrew Captain
        Thank you All to sharing your experiences and workarounds. This is something which I will do.
        1) Create account for Pipeline handling
        2) Move current Pipelines from different accounts to this one (with YAML)
        3) Implement proper mechanism of password handling when somebody leave the project

Adam Krzyzanek
  • My understanding is that the brain trust at Quick Base know that this is an issue and have plans to improve Pipeline visibility. - seeing other builder's Pipelines.

But until then, you should be able to put in a support ticket and ask the care team to open you up to see pipelines.  Then you will see a "Switch User" icon toward the top right of that Pipelines screen.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      AmyGosz2
      Qrew Cadet
      Thanks Mark for the quick reply. We don't have need for this right now, but I will retain your answer in case it comes up on the future. Hopefully before that time, QB can figure out a fix for this.

It would probably be most helpful if any admin on an app can see any Pipelines built using that particular app. That would still secure other apps but give admins visibility to anything affecting an app they are responsible for. Or, maybe be able to 'add' people to a Pipeline when setting it up to allow them access.

Amy Gosz
      AustinK
      Qrew Commander
      Mark, can support actually open that option up to see other users pipelines? From our understanding the only way to cause the "switch user" menu to show up is if a user is a full realm admin and has basically the highest permissions possible for the account itself. We could not find any other way to do it. If support can do that without making the user a realm admin, that would be huge.
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        I don't know  You would have to ask support.  You may be right that it is a limitation now, but I do know that the brain trust behind Pipelines knows that this is a problem and that they have a lot of improvements planned (ie internal resources assigned)  for Pipelines, so we may have to muddle along the best we can for now until those improvements come through.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com