Forum Discussion

DrewVoge
Qrew Cadet
6 months ago

Pipelines - Delete unmatched records

I've been using pipelines to replace some synced tables that I need to be updated "live".  Basically two nearly identical tables with the same primary key. 

I've created a pipeline for when a record is created in table A to create a record in table B.

I've created a pipeline for when a record is modified in table A to update the record in table B.

I've created a pipeline for when a record is deleted in table A to delete the record in table B.

Now i'm working on a daily refresh pipeline to ensure the tables are synced in case of errors.  The bulk upsert process is what I have been using for that, and it works great.  My problem is I don't understand how to include the logic to delete records out of table B that no longer exist in table A as part of my daily refresh.  Is there a way to do this within my daily refresh pipeline or another pipeline?  

------------------------------
Drew Voge

4 Replies

• Do you have some way of binding the two together that you can match between? Such as - when you create a record in Table B from Table A, are you logging the Record ID# in Table B so you can match them back and forth? 

If you are - you could run a daily process that takes ALL the records in Table A and imports the current date into table B as a 'Date Last Seen from Table A', and then search for all the records in Table B that don't show as 'Today'. The assumption there is that if you don't update a value in Table B as having been seen today then it must have been deleted from Table A. 

Chayce Duncan
      DrewVoge
      Qrew Cadet

I had a similar thought using a checkbox field called 'delete'.  Basically the update process first sets all checkboxes to true, then the upsert process unchecks the boxes.  After the upsert is committed, I delete all records where the checkbox is still checked.  My concern there is an interruption in the process that results in all records being deleted.    

I had hoped to do it within the pipeline not using new fields as I assume there is a method that my peabrain can't figure out.   

Drew Voge
        ChayceDuncan
        Qrew Captain

In all likelihood if you tried to identify it in the pipeline and then delete at the same time - you'd have to do the search and deletion one by one inside of a loop which would be taxing on the Pipeline, Quickbase, and be pretty slow. It would likely entail searching ALL your records in Table B - looping each - querying to see if you can find a match in Table A and if the query responds with 0 records in Table A, then delete the record from B. 

That setup though means you're individually querying for every record one by one.

I haven't personally had a use case for it - but you might also look at the Pipeline table/row object. Again - never used it myself - but you could query table A - loop each record and add a row in a Pipeline table with the RID. Then, query for all records in Table B, then loop each record in that and instead of directly querying back to Table A - search the table to see if the associated Table A entry is in your Pipeline table and if it doesn't exist - then delete the Table B record. Same concept as above - but you're using the table like an array that you can index versus querying QB each time. Still slow - but less taxing on QB directly. This would definitely be the better option but comes with more trial and error. 

Chayce Duncan