Forum Discussion

JeffRogerson
Qrew Cadet
8 months ago

Row Counter

Can anyone council me if it is possible to create a report formula to count and display the row number in a report?  (I know Quickbase counts the number of records in a report, but can this counter be accessed?)

------------------------------
Jeff Rogerson

6 Replies

• This can be done with a Formula Query but only if the short on the report is 100% predictable and you don't use any dynamic filters.  

The only other way that I know of is to create a field that calculates to 1 called [Row]

then you need to contrive a summary report, which will actually break on every single record, and include that as a field to summarize on the report, and said that field to be displayed as a running total down the report.  

So basically, the trick is to make a summary report which gives you all the rose and all the columns that you would have had on your table report.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      AaronB
      Qrew Trainee

Mark is the undisputed guru so I'd trust his response more than mine.  But I'll still take a crack at how I'd try this, even though I know it is not an efficient way to do it.

If your report works as you want, you could build a pipeline to recreate that same data set.  Then, write that data set (your report data) to an empty table.  That table would also need to include a field that does a record count and populates that field each time a record is added. 

The formula I use for this field is: 

Size(
      GetRecords(
      If(not IsNull([Record ID#]),"AND{3.LTE.'"&[Record ID#]&"'}")))

Warning:  I am somewhat of a novice at Quickbase so don't bet the farm on my suggestion :)

Aaron B
      ab1692@att.com
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

Aaron, but the problem will be that report sort is unlikely to be by Record ID# and the Formula Query will rank by Record ID# and it would include all records and not just the ones included in the report filter.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com