Forum Discussion

ChristineKirk
Qrew Cadet
4 months ago

Save & Keep Working/Required Fields

Hi all! 

I posted last week but am really stumped still. Some of my end users are requesting to save information while still working on a new record -- and in our workflow, it's common that they may be gathering datapoints over multiple hours (and sometimes in 15 minutes). They don't want to lose their datapoints as they complete collection - and we don't want to miss any of our required fields, which are critical to a number of areas from regulatory requirements to funding support.

Someone suggested that I "hide" a section that has the save button and add the conditions on that my required fields must be filled in to show that section, but the save button is actually always present, so that doesn't quite achieve what I'm hoping for.

Additionally, we have some layered requirements - if X is "Yes", then require 4 other fields. So I'm just trying to figure out the best possible approach to letting them save their progress, while not relinquishing control over getting those required fields.

Any suggestions are most graciously appreciated!

------------------------------
Christine Kirk

2 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Qrew #1 Challenger

You need to give them the ability to save even if the form is barely completed. But then at the top of the form you will construct a long warning message telling them which fields they need to complete. Feel free to post back if you need help with the syntax for that. Then you need to give them the option to either push a button or check a checkbox or set a multiple-choice field to set the status of the record to "Submitted".   You will prevent them from being able to edit that field if there are warnings about missing fields.  

Then you tell who is ever at the other end of these records that are being created to know only to act on records which have been "Submitted" and not those which are still "In Process".  

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      ChristineKirk
      Qrew Cadet

Thanks, Mark!

Christine Kirk