Forum Discussion

TonyGonzalez
Qrew Trainee
3 months ago

Summary Formulas vs Variable Formulas

Not sure which one I need here, or if there is another way of doing this.  Have a table with Fire Calls, types are Fire and Ems.  I need to show both on a chart, which I have already done.  I need a third set of bars that combines these two, Fire and EMS, and shows them.  The Excel version screen shot is below, and then my QB version is the next screen shot.  

------------------------------
Gonzo - A Newbie, but learning fast. (Former SmartSheet evangelist who is quickly converting to QuickBase)
IT Director City of New Braunfels

18 Replies

• Have you considered doing a stacked bar chart instead? Maybe with the X axis being the date grouped by months. Then make the series the type?

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      TonyGonzalez
      Qrew Trainee

Mark,

Thought I replied last night.  I have.  In fact, that is how I have one graph setup.  But, I also am wanting to showcase the flexibility of reporting/graphing within QB.  So I was hoping to be able to show it the other way as well.  Screenshot attached of the Stacked bar Chart.

Gonzo - A Newbie, but learning fast. (Former SmartSheet evangelist who is quickly converting to QuickBase)
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

OK, thy this.

Make a formula field called [Fire Calls] that calculates to 1 if it's Fire

If([Type]="Fire", 1)

Then same for EMS

If([Type]="EMS", 1)

Then also a formula [Total calls] but the formula is just 1.

Then make a bar chart and when you hover near right the first selection for [Fire Call], you can add another bar choice for [EMS calls] and again for [Total Calls]) 

mark.shnier@gmail.com
      TonyGonzalez
      Qrew Trainee

Just thought of another way to do this.  Can I auto create a record that would sum two other records?  Meaning, if someone enters a data point for Feb 2024 with call type EMS, then a new record is automatically created with call type monthly total that would add # of calls for EMS+# of calls for Fire?  

I say auto-generated, because otherwise I would have to precreate that record, so to speak.  I still don't talk correct developer language here, so I am attempting to explain my desires/thoughts from a Manager's perspective.

MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

Where did I lose you?

mark.shnier@gmail.com