Forum Discussion

EmberKrumwied
Qrew Assistant Captain
8 months ago

Variable selection based on field of "grandparent" record

I am building an app for our Insurance team and they have A LOT of special requirements and "one-off" calculations.  I am trying to help streamline some of these to potentially make things more consistent and easy to process.  We own/manage a large real estate portfolio which may be covered on one or more insurance policies.  For each of these policies our various properties, and their individual units, are described and valuated on an excel workbook.  If a property/unit is on more than 1 policy it will appear in multiple workbooks.

In an attempt to help streamline and de-duplicate data, I am building an app that has the following tables:

Properties - Parent to Units and describes the entire property.

Units - Child to Properties and describes individual units or buildings on the Property.

Property Values - Parent to Unit Values and stores value fields that apply to all Units.

Unit Values - Child to Property Values and stores value fields specific to that unit/building.

Policies - used to track and collect data regarding specific policy amounts and periods of coverage.

There is a one-to-many relationship from Properties to Units, from Property Values to Unit Values, from Properties to Property Values, and from Policies to Property Values.

All is going fine until I get to situations where a Property/Unit is covered under multiple Policies.  On one policy we want to see all the Property/Unit Values but on another we don't.  I understand that I could just duplicate the Value entries and not enter the information not needed then associate that 2nd instance to the limited policy, but I'm trying to get away from that kind of duplication.

So, my thinking was to have a field on the Policy record which when checked or filled in would mask or otherwise not display certain fields from the Unit Values table.

Example:

Property A has 11 Units and for Policy 1 we want to see all 7 valuation fields.

For Policy 2 we want to see Property A and its 11 Units but only 3 valuation fields.

Policy record (grandparent to Unit Values) would have a checkbox that when checked would only return the 3 needed valuation fields, if unchecked would display all valuation fields.

Is something like this even possible?  Thanks

------------------------------
Ember

1 Reply

EmberKrumwied
    Qrew Assistant Captain

It is amazing what happens when you type something out...I think the direction I need to explore is a many-to-many relationship between the various tables.  Not quite sure of the structure, but I'm going to explore that direction.

Thanks for reading!

Ember