Forum Discussion

EmberKrumwied
Qrew Assistant Captain
8 months ago
Solved

View all Parent records and related Child records in single table view

I am looking for a way to view, in table format, all Parent records AND any related Child records.  I understand that some of the data displayed will be repetitive, but that is okay.  If I create the new "table view" from the Child, then only those Parents will show where there is a connection.  And my only option from the Parent side, is to create Summary fields, but I don't want a summary, I want to see all the records.

Part of this effort is to see which Parents don't have certain Children.  I think I could create a report or table that would just display this information, but I'd like to see it in relation to all the Children records.  My work around for now has been to export the entire Parent table and Child table into Excel and manually match Parents up with Children so that I can see all the relationships and even those without a relationship.

Just seeking a more automated or programable option as manually is not a quick process.

------------------------------
Ember
    EmberKrumwied
    8 months ago

All works now.  The formula I was using was modified as I assumed that the formula shown below (which you previously provided) that the var text CombinedText = was a placeholder and didn't need to be inserted into the formula field.  When I left that part out, the editor didn't like the semicolon after the first line so I modified it till it "liked" my formula.  Thus getting a partial result.  I used your formula as is and only replaced the "My Text Concatenation Field" for my actual field name.

var text CombinedText = ToText([My Text Concatenation Field]);

// substitute new line for semicolon
    SearchAndReplace($CombinedText," ; ","\n")

Thank you for your assistance.

Ember

4 Replies

• One option is to create a field on the Child table called [Roll Up Fields].  Make a formula on the trail table to concatenate together a few different fields from the child record which would serve as identification.

Then you can go to the relationship and create a combined text summary field of that roll up field.

That rolled up field will have an unusual appearance and if you want to convert it to a more normal looking text field you could then use the formula like this have them appear as a vertical list. Or you can choose a different separator if you want them say comma separated.  

var text CombinedText = ToText([My Text Concatenation Field]);

// substitute new line for semicolon

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      EmberKrumwied
      Qrew Assistant Captain

Was able to use this suggestion, doesn't display like I had hoped it would, but this gets me the information I was seeking.

This is the formula I ended up using on the Parent table (to display the rollup field created at the Child level).

SearchAndReplace(ToText([PTrans Rollup]),";","\n")

What displays is a list of all the related Child records, one record on a separate line, but lines 2+ are slightly indented. Any way to modify the formula so that all lines are aligned along the left side of the field?

Ember
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion

:) Yes, change the formula to the one I provided.  The actual separator comes through as space semi space when converted ToText, so that is what the SearchAndReplace needs to scan for.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com