Forum Discussion

ScottDye
Qrew Trainee
7 years ago

How can I update a connected field whose column name changes in the connected CSV?

We recently had to make a change to the CSV file that is used in a connected table via Quickbase Sync. This column name change immediately caused the sync to fail on the next interval, which makes sense.

I expected there to be a way to go to the connected field in Quickbase (that was now orphaned), and "re-link" it to the newly renamed field in the CSV. However, there only appeared to be the option to delete my orphaned connected field, and add the "new" renamed field. 

In this situation that wasn't too big of a deal, but if that field had a long list in the "usage" tab (reports, calculated fields, relationships, etc) it would have been very tricky.

Is there not a way to re-link a broken connection to a field?

3 Replies

• As a work a round if there had been extensive usage of that field, does it look like you could have changed the orphaned field to a formula field equal to the value of the replacement Sync field?

I know, a bit messy but would that have been an option?
  • Yes, that would probably work - but boy is that messy (as you say).
    TateForgey
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    I have the same problem and I'm surprised there isn't a better answer. 

The developer of the CSV I'm using for the connected table misspelled some field names and others that are not as descriptive as they could be.  When I got the sync failure and saw these had been changed I started looking for a simple function to "reconnect" the field to the new field in the CSV, but it seems I can only "Disconnect and Delete Field."  Really?  I have spent days setting up relationships and summary fields based on these inside Quick base.  I can't just delete these fields. 

Is there really no way to do this?

------------------------------
    Tate Forgey
    ------------------------------