Forum Discussion

EHEH
Qrew Cadet
6 years ago

import and update existing records

I need to import records from excel on a daily basis. I need QB to update the existing records if the claim number is the same ( existing Vs imported). However for all the other records that entered manually ( not imported) there will be sometimes same claim ID or sometimes blank ( not unique). I'm not sure how to resolve this issue as the Claim ID in this case will not be unique and can't be set as a key field? any another idea how to resolve this?

5 Replies

• It is possible to set the key field to be a formula field. Is there some combination of the Claim number and another field which WOULD be unique? If so then that could work to create that Key field in both QuickBase and also as part of your excel import.
      CarrolleeGresha
      Qrew Member
      Hi.  I have a similar question.  I am importing csv data daily.  Some of the records created will need to have information in certain columns updated with hew data.  How do I set this up?  I have a unique id set up for each record . . .   I would greatly appreciate any help on this.   
      Thanks,
      Carrollee
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      I suggest that you post this as a new question with a more complete description.
  • EH,

I am doing a similar process with claims and we created a key with a formula field. I am not sure if you solved for it but I thought I could just let you know.
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      ... I used to be excited about making a Key field a formula field, but then I have run into weirdness with duplicate Key fields, so I have not backed away from doing that anymore.