Forum Discussion

StanleyMelling
Qrew Member
5 years ago

Trying to Capture a dollar value in a Numeric Field (Currency) such that . . .?

Hey Y'all,
I am trying to capture a dollar value - from our catalog for orders and quotes such that it is a snapshot of the value when the order or quote is created the dollar value on that day an time does not change when the Quick Books (Connected data) price gets updated to a different value. 

The problem is that we are creating orders and quotes in our portal app with items from our catalog where the retail price is "X" on that day. All well and good - right? No, because when the price point of an item changes in QuickBooks and the sync runs - the price changes to the new price - even on historic orders and quotes.  once an order or quote is created with catalog pricing (comes from Quick Books), I need the value of that quote/order to NOT change when the Quick Books sync runs and deposits the new price on everything. UGH! 

What have I done? I have a field that is a numeric (currency) field labeled " Time Sensitive Unit Price". For that field I have selected "Get this field's value from a lookup field and don't allow the value to change", I have set the Look-up field to point to the "Retail List Price" field. That field is connected back up to Quick Books. 

In the end - my new (bright idea field - "Time Sensitive Unit Price") remains un-populated with anything at all! 

What am I doing wrong?? I need help and I don't want to do  another trouble ticket. Thanks in advance!!
Stan

------------------------------
Stanley Melling
Director - Special Projects & New Frontiers
ModTruss, Inc.
Fond du Lac WI
844.663.8787 ext. 715

4 Replies

• When you set the snapshot field up, did you select the checkbox to initialize all the existing records to have the lookup value frozen?  If not, then deselect that as being a snapshot field and reselect it as being a snapshot field and then use the checkbox to initialize.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      StanleyMelling
      Qrew Member
      Mark, 
      Thanks for the input! I don't know how to do as you have suggested. I don't see any check boxes on the Numeric (Currency Field) to "Initialize" the data to that field. I tried unchecking the snap shot to see if I could see an Initialize checkbox. Could not find. Here are some images of what I have - maybe that will help reveal what I am doing wrong.

I can send other screen shots if that will help solve the mystery.
      Thanks for your help!
      Stan

Stanley Melling
      Director - Special Projects & New Frontiers
      ModTruss, Inc.
      Fond du Lac WI
      844.663.8787 ext. 715
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        Stanley.

1. Uncheck the check so it's no longer a snapshot. 
        2. Check the checkbox to make it a snapshot and select the lookup field. 
        3. There will be a new checkbox right below the lookup field asking if you want to initialize.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com
    DonLarson
    Qrew Commander
    Stanley,

Where are you doing your sync?  Consider this as your table structure.

Your Item Master can sync with Quick Books.  Only the Catalog Pricing in that table will change along with the Look Ups it is based on.  In the child tables your Snapshot of the Look Up will stay the same.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH