Forum Discussion

Re: How to display PDF in file attachment fields

I would like QuickBase to be able to display embedded PDFs from my network. I do not know if this is possible.

Side note: Formula - URL field can open files into Chrome, e.g.: "C:\\\\Users\\wesmc\\Desktop\\"&"Empower.pdf"

Using the Magic Buttons app, I have a PDF (file attachment) displaying embedded in a form. I am trying to take it a step further by displaying a file from a hyperlink (to the file on my local network).

Left: Attachment; Right: Hyperlink

I am not sure if this is possible since the file is not actually in QuickBase. The error in the iframe looks like what you get when trying to display the PDF without checking the box "Allow open access" in the Field Properties for the file attachment.

This makes me wonder if there might be a way around this.

Any ideas about whether this is feasible would be appreciated.

Thanks!

23 Replies

RyanPflederer2
    Qrew Trainee
    Haven't tested it, but my initial thought is that the field is not publicly available. So in order to do that you'd need to have a role for 'Everyone on the Internet', with view access of that field.
    As a caveat though, if you're linking to a local resource only those with access to the resource will see the file.
    WesMcAda1
    Qrew Member
    Thanks for the response. I just tried EOTI, but I did not make any progress that I can see. Also, thanks for addressing the limitation of access.
    WesMcAda1
    Qrew Member
    Another thought I had is if it would be possible to use a rich text field to display a button that - when clicked - actually attaches a file to a record (from the established location), redirect/refresh to the record, and then display.

Basically, this would be a step between my URL field to the PDF on my network and the file attachment field that is displaying as needed.
      ZachShumate
      Qrew Trainee
      Does anyone have the final solution here to get this to work? I was not able to find this in the magic buttons application and cannot get the formulas listed to work either.

------------------------------
      Zach Shumate
        MichaelTamoush
        Qrew Captain
        Have you tried the solution in Magic Buttons? I seem to remember I was able to get that to work, however I couldn't use it because it only works with the file attachment field is open to everyone, and for security reasons we could not do that.

I never found another good solution for when attachment field is private.

Mike Tamoush