Forum Discussion

Re: Extract part of address from address field

Thanks so much for such a quick response, Mark.  In my mind of working with my onboarding lead, we were thinking we can set up a formula-text field to store this "truncated" address of removing the house number, and then use this modified field to display on the map, where the actual address would still ensure the "marker" on the map is accurate.

Will that work?  If not, then I will abandon the idea.  I need the map feature badly for my organization, but I am very worried about displaying the PII visibly for basically anyone on the internet who will be able to see the map.

P.S. if it helps for me to explain my use case more, I am glad to do so.
------------------------------
Shuma Chaudhuri

3 Replies

MarkShnier__You
    Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
    I'm sorry but in my testing I was unable to suppress the exact address from showing on a Maps report type.  They allow you to show some fields in addition to the address , but I could not see a way to suppress the full address from showing.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      ShumaChaudhuri
      Qrew Member

The way we were trying to approach this is to add a new field called Protected Address as a formula text field.  Then for the formula, we were trying to use the Part function.  For Kirk, the formula is working, where the house # is not included in this new field.  But I can't get the formula to work. 

Example Address
      111 Main Street, Boston MA 12345

Here is the formula that Kirk had:
      Part([Address: Street 1], 2, " ") & " " & Part([Address: Street 1], 3, " ") & " " & Part([Address: Street 1], 4, " ") & " " & Part([Address: Street 1], 5, " ")

His result was:
      Main Street, Boston, MA 12345

But for me, my result comes back:

Main Street

The hope was that once we got this formula working, then I could configure the map report to display this new "Protected 
      Address" field rather than the "Address" field.

Shuma Chaudhuri
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        Here is what I suggest.  The Maps report required an Address Field type.  Unfortunately, there is no such field type as a Formula Address field.

You can use that formula to create street Address 1 without the numeric portion.  
        '
        Then make a new Address field called [Address for Mapping].

Then using a form rule or an Automation or both, populate that [Address for Mapping] field and map that.  if you populate all fields including the postal code= there is a good chance that it will map correctly.

Feel free to post back if you have have trouble with the form rule or Automaton.  There is also a way to get an Automation to run though all your existing addresses (assuming that you already have a lot of addresses records to populate the [Address for Mapping] field.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com