Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Abort the Delete when Check box field is checked?

Posted 11-15-2019 05:28
    Hi,

Say,
    * I have a table with a checkbox field.
    * I have 10 records in the table.
    * There are 4 records with Checkbox checked. i.e., (Checkbox=True) and 6 records which are not checked

Can we restrict the User from not able to delete the Checked Records?
    i.e., When all the 10 records in the table are selected and Clicked on to DELETE, it Should just delete 6 Non-Checked records and should still show 4 Checked Records. 

Can We Achieve This?

------------------------------
    Vivek Vishwanath
    Hyderabad, India
    +91 8185868789

• 2.  RE: Abort the Delete when Check box field is checked?

Posted 11-15-2019 09:07
    Well, you cannot do that, but here is an approach.

set permissions for that class of users not to be blue to delete.

make a checkbox field called [Delete]

then trigger an Automation to actually do the deletions if some conditions are met.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Abort the Delete when Check box field is checked?

Posted 11-18-2019 13:23
    Edited by Brian Cafferelli 11-18-2019 13:39
    Alternatively, as a workaround have you considered allowing these users to simply archive records instead? You could add a checkbox field called Archived, and either use custom data rules to control which records the users are allowed to archive - or create a report of archived records which admin users could review and determine which ones should be deleted. The only drawback here is that you would need to update the filters for your reports to only show records which have not been archived.

This is similar to your suggestion Mark, just adding some additional guardrails to help ensure the wrong records aren't being deleted.

Brian Cafferelli

• 4.  RE: Abort the Delete when Check box field is checked?

Posted 11-18-2019 13:30
    Vivek,

Brian's suggestion requires you to make reporting updates but it is a very good way to go.  

I hate delete.  Bad things happen when records are deleted.    Users like to claim that someone else is messing up the data, or that they did their job and claim the right answers were deleted.   The resulting gaps in the Record ID's make it impossible to figure out who is right and end the finger pointing.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH