Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Feature Request: Paste images into Rich Text Field

• 1.  Feature Request: Paste images into Rich Text Field

Posted 01-27-2020 20:43
    It would save me and my team a ton of time if we were able to paste images from memory into a rich text field, rather than having to upload a file to a web server and insert an IMG tag into the editor. This is possible in the very rich text field I'm typing this comment into. It's strange that the Quick Base community wasn't built with Quick Base. Rather than improving the platform they sold us to build applications on, they hired Higher Logic to write a custom application instead. My confidence in this platform dwindles by the day. :(

------------------------------
    Matt Makris

• 2.  RE: Feature Request: Paste images into Rich Text Field

Posted 01-28-2020 08:00
    We paste images into Quick Base  Rich Text fields all the time.  Maybe it's Browser dependent.  Which browser are you using?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Feature Request: Paste images into Rich Text Field

Posted 01-28-2020 09:59
    Hi Matt,

I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues with Rich Text fields and feeling frustrated with how they function when images are involved. I have in the past been able to copy and paste text and images from for example other Rich Text fields or something like Sharepoint and the images get translated over, is there a specific browser you are seeing this issue on or with specific types of media? When it comes to hosting images in general for use in QB we do recommend hosting them either somewhere on the net you know is a reliable address for it (for example a website your company maintains) or within QB since that usually provides the best experience but Rich Text fields do have some ability to host images when copy and pasting but it isn't universal to all sources. 

If you would like the Rich Text fields to be more robust in their support of images, and in particular if you have an example of exactly how you would like it to function, I would definitely recommend submitting that as feedback to our User Voice. User Voice is a tool our Product team uses to help track user interest in enhancements. The Quick Base User voice can most easily be accessed from the My Apps page in Quick Base by clicking on the orange Feedback tab that appears on the right of the page or at http://quickbase.uservoice.com by signing in with your Quick Base credentials. Thank you for your feedback Matt and certainly let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

If you do post up a User Voice suggestion I would recommend dropping a link to it here in this thread so that other community members can add their votes.

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base

• 4.  RE: Feature Request: Paste images into Rich Text Field

Posted 01-28-2020 10:08
    You can definitely paste images in, but the image has to be hosted somewhere. All the pasting does is create an img tag linking to the remove image. You cannot take a screenshot (to memory) and paste it in, which would still store as an image tag, but would store it with base64 data, rather than an image url/path.

Matt Makris

• 5.  RE: Feature Request: Paste images into Rich Text Field

Posted 01-28-2020 10:24
    Hi Matt,

Thanks for the clarification, yes if you are pulling an image from your computer directly or for example copy and pasting from Word into a Rich Text field then it does not pull across. I was thinking more when it was already hosted (places like Sharepoint pull the image converted to Base 64 since it is already an online resource. In that case yes the best course is to upload and reference it. If having that process be available inside the Rich Text field instead of through a File Attachment field and URL would be more what you are looking for I would definitely recommend submitting it to our User Voice. It is true we don't have a utility that is built into our rich text fields to directly upload since we have the ability to call in our existing File Attachment fields. 

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base

• 6.  RE: Feature Request: Paste images into Rich Text Field

Posted 12-13-2021 20:02
    Edited by Brad L 12-13-2021 20:05
    I agree with Matt that there needs to be a way to paste images that are not hosted on the internet somewhere. This is a function that BaseCamp has already, and my team is not happy with the transition to QuickBase because of it.
    When I tried to put my feedback to the "User Voice" I got this error:
    How would I get the feedback in?
    BTW: It's ironic that I can paste this non-internet image on the "User Voice" error into this forum, but not within QuickBase.

• 7.  RE: Feature Request: Paste images into Rich Text Field

Posted 12-13-2021 21:45
    Hi Brad,

Since this post we have updated our feedback platform and are no longer using User Voice. You can instead find out new feedback experience on the My Apps page when you are on Quickbase under the feedback tab. That way you can add in your request where our product team will be sure to see it and other users can add their vote of support.

Evan Martinez

• 8.  RE: Feature Request: Paste images into Rich Text Field

Posted 05-10-2023 16:54

Hi Matt,

Some good news for you: It seems as though Quickbase has updated their basic rich  text field to be a better rich text... I can now paste image from my computer into a rich text field. To get this started, I had to right click in the rich text field, then choose Paste, then paste my image in the box. But now it seems to work every time.

Does it work for you now?

Matt Stephens

• 9.  RE: Feature Request: Paste images into Rich Text Field

Posted 05-10-2023 18:17
    I noticed that! Thanks!--
    Matt Makris
    Partner
    EMSC

Office: 312-285-2489
    Mobile: 312-860-6288

• 10.  RE: Feature Request: Paste images into Rich Text Field

Posted 14 days ago

Hi Matt S.,

I must be missing something, because I have tried this now in Gooogle Chrome, Edge, and Firefox. All of them give me the same error saying my image lacks a URL.

Can you please confirm this still works for you?

Thank you!

Curtis Middleton

• 11.  RE: Feature Request: Paste images into Rich Text Field

Posted 14 days ago

I get the same error as you on the new form.

But... I use legacy forms and it works just fine.:

Hope that helps.

Matt Stephens