Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Show a form in a form

Posted 04-06-2022 15:55
    I have a parent and child relationship.

Projects have many Monthly Summaries. On that monthly summary I have about 30 pertinent fields shown in a nice pretty grid on the form.

On my project, I want to show the most recent monthly summary. I can think of 2 ways:

1. Make a ton (about 30) summary fields filtering for the most recent summary. Then simply display them on my project.

2. Make a button to pop up and show the most recent summary. I can make a specific form to show only the fields I want.

My question is - can I somehow use a report link or other trick to show a specific form of a specific record, right on my parent? So if I want to display it right on my project I dont need to make 30 summary fields?

------------------------------
    Mike Tamoush

• 2.  RE: Show a form in a form

Posted 04-07-2022 09:25
    it is possible to embed webpages on forms. But I think as part of the compromise on JavaScript security they found they had to block showing Quickbase forms within Quickbase forms.  Originally they blocked any webpages from displaying on forms and there was a lot of pain caused by that decision and they backtracked and realized that their security loophole had to do with QuickBase forms embedded in Quickbase forms.

So I'm pretty sure the answer is "no" you cannot embed a Quickbase form on the QuickBase form anymore.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Show a form in a form

Posted 04-07-2022 10:34
    I did manage to get a 'child record form embedded into parent form' solution working a few years ago for my apps, though nearly every aspect of that solution has been deprecated.  This solution involved using the Iframe html tag in a formula rich-text field, which is unfortunately no longer allowed to be used.

Brad Lemke

• 4.  RE: Show a form in a form

Posted 04-07-2022 11:20
    Hi Mike,

I think this should achieve what you're looking for - create a formula URL field that points to a form displaying the information you want to embed and specify that this is embedded in the parent form as an iframe. If you append '&ifv=1' to the formula URL and create a form that only shows the information you're interested in, it should do the job with some experimentation on the size of the iframe.

Jeremy Anson

• 5.  RE: Show a form in a form

Posted 04-07-2022 11:28
    Jeremy, does that solution require using the <iframe> tag in the URL formula?  Those are now blocked and if you try to put in a quickbase link and use the button to show as iframe a red message appears

Sorry, you can't use redirects to Quickbase URLs

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Show a form in a form

Posted 04-07-2022 11:52
    No, although I've realised I've just tried this by adding the field in the child record, displaying a form showing information from the parent ... and there are other ways of doing this without creating multiple lookup fields.

The formula is:

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_AAA] & "?a=dr&rid=" & [Related AAA record] & "&dfid=10&ifv=1"

In the display options for the field I've checked 'Embed as iframe in forms' and set the iframe size to accommodate the cut-down form. 

I guess this should work at the other end of the relationship too as long as you have a record ID# to point the URL at.

Jeremy Anson

• 7.  RE: Show a form in a form

Posted 04-08-2022 12:42
    @Jeremy Anson  You are right, I did not think it was possible but it works easily.​

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 8.  RE: Show a form in a form

Posted 04-08-2022 12:53
    Wow. That works perfect and is so easy. Great tip thanks!

Mike Tamoush

• 9.  RE: Show a form in a form

Posted 04-08-2022 13:11
    I tested it out as well and it functions incredibly well as a direct replacement to my workaround solution that I built a while back.  The only issue I run into is if I navigate in any way (such as using a save button), I get that infamous error code:
    Sorry, you can't use redirects to Quickbase URLs

I wonder if that's a bug?

Brad Lemke