Forum Discussion

AlexBennett3
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Duration Formula/Logic

Hey Everyone!

I am trying to get some formulas working to display accurate duration based on a couple fields: Job Labor Budget cost (Currency), Average Hourly Rate(Currency), # of employees​ (Numeric). I'm using these to calculate how many estimated days it would take to complete a job, either by an 8 hour work day, or 10 hr work day. (I'll do these separately since only one department works 10's) I've written out the formulas and seems to be working. But when I change Number of employees it might display 23.9 Hours, when I'm attempting to divide that total by 10. so instead of 23.9 hours, it should display 2.4 Days, or roughly 3 days for 8 hour shifts. But if it is under an 8 or 10 hour day, it then changes to 9.3 hours, or 5.2 hours etc.

Here is my Logic:
Hourly Rate * Number of Employees = FID 1
FID 1 / Job Labor Budget cost = FID 2

Days([FID 2])​​/10

Any help would be appreciated! Never worked with durations before so this is all new! I'm Ultimately trying to get these durations to show up on a calendar to display a job duration based on a start date an number for duration.

Thanks,

------------------------------
Alex Bennett

5 Replies

• My suggestion is to do the calculation so it results in a numeric value of the Number of hours.  I think that for your purposes, using a duration field will just be confusing.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      AlexBennett3
      Qrew Trainee
      So you're saying using only numeric so that it displays like XX.X hours even if it's multiple days? Is that my best option for getting this to accurately display on a calendar based on 8/10 hour work days?

Alex Bennett
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        If you want to display on a calendar, the you will need to have a formula which calculates the end date / time.  The difficulty will be in making that formula, regardless of the field type.  The issue will come up that you want to calculate "business hours per day and then probably avoid weekends.  The formulas get pretty involved.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com