Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Automation Filter

Posted 09-16-2020 14:42
    Edited by Nate Kurtz 09-23-2020 09:25
    So i have a total of three tables that are linked.  
    Tickets -> Ticket Assets
    Assets ->Ticket Assets

I am trying to get an automation to change Asset fields based on information in the ticket when it closes.  So far i can do this for one asset without an issue. 

I have the Trigger go when the status of a ticket changes.

Then Filter Assets by matching the Record ID# in the Asset Table with a Combined Text summary field listing the Record ID of all of the Assets on the ticket (there is a formula field in the Ticket Asset field Totext([Related Asset]) and i am using that to drive the combined text summary). 

I then have it make my changes.

This works great for one asset, however we regularly can have lots of assets on a ticket (several hundred) and it seems to only work with the first one.   Any suggestions for a better way to approach this or to get it to run on the rest?

------------------------------
    Nate Kurtz

• 2.  RE: Automation Filter

Posted 09-18-2020 13:30
    I haven't made any progress with this unfortunately.   Any help would be appriciated!

Nate Kurtz

• 3.  RE: Automation Filter

Posted 09-18-2020 18:54
    Can you explain how you are "Matching" which specific fields are you comparing, and what are their formulas?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 4.  RE: Automation Filter

Posted 09-23-2020 09:41
    Table Relationships for my 3 tables: 
    Tickets have many Ticket Assets
    Assets have many Ticket Assets

I have a formula field in the Ticket Asset field Totext([Related Asset] to give me a text result of the Related Asset's Record ID
    I have a Combined Text Summary Field in the Ticket Table that summarizes that same field in all of the associated Ticket Asset Records

My automation: 
    When a field changes in the Ticket Field (Field to change is a status multi select text field)
    Change a record in the Asset Table (Filter matches the Combined Text Summary Field with the Record ID # of the assets)​
    I then change two fields pulling information from the ticket.

This approach will work for the first asset listed in the Combined Text Summary Field but that is all.

I have also tried skipping the Ticket field and creating a more direct automation with just the Ticket Asset Table and the Asset Table
    This one Triggered off a change in the Ticket Asset Field, i used a lookup field from the Ticket Table (Status field).  Then had it change the related Asset.  However i was not able to get this one to actually start.  I am guessing we are not able to use a lookup field as a trigger.

I also tried making two actions, one to change the Ticket Asset Field when the Ticket field changes (but it looked like i could only add records instead of modifying current ones) and then another to change the related asset from a trigger field in the Ticket Asset.  This approach also never worked for me. 

I feel like i am missing something really simple here but keep drawing a blank on where to go next.  Thank you for any help you can provide.

Nate Kurtz

• 5.  RE: Automation Filter

Posted 09-23-2020 14:13
    OK
    I would make a field on the Tickets table called [Ticket plus 1,000,000] as a formula text field and the formula is
    ToText([Record ID#] + 1000000)

Look up down to Ticket Assets (TAs)

Combined Text Summary up to Assets
    The convert the Combined text summary field to a formula text field so its a semi colon delimited string called [All Tickets]

Then when the Automation triggers

Action is to modify records on Assets where 

[All Tickets] contains the value in the trigger record  field [Ticket plus 1,000,000]

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: Automation Filter

Posted 09-23-2020 15:48
    That worked great!  Thank you very much for the help!

Nate Kurtz