Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Grid Edit - Browse Choices Workaround?

Posted 07-15-2020 12:20
    Hi everyone!  I'm wondering if anyone knows at what # of records does the grid edit field decide to display 'browse choices' vs being able to search directly within the cell?  I'm guessing 1000 but I'm hoping there's a way to bypass this issue...

For example, we process invoices for multiple customers with each customer having it's own app.  Based on the rule that a store has many invoices, I can enter all invoices directly into a grid edit report for the customer with ~900 locations and the store number will autopopulate in the field just as it would when I add a new invoice through the form itself.  I wanted to recreate this with a customer with ~1600 locations as I was super excited to streamline the process even more (currently entering invoices into excel then uploading into the invoices table) but when I created the same report in the app it will not autopopulate the store number.  Instead gives me one option to 'Browse choices' then search for the store number in a new window.

Is this because there are too many related stores to populate in the dropdown menu or could it be that I need to adjust some options in the field itself?

------------------------------
    Marissa Zepeda

• 2.  RE: Grid Edit - Browse Choices Workaround?

Posted 07-15-2020 12:31
    Yes, the cut off is 1,000 records.  Above that they force the dreaded record picker.  They have to have some limit as what if you had 1 million records, that is too much to populate to a drop down list.

A possible work around is to make this a conditional drop down where you first enter the first letter of the store name, and then the dropdown list would be much smaller.  Or select a range like A-L or M-Z.  This would take some easy setup, but might be worth it.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 3.  RE: Grid Edit - Browse Choices Workaround?

Posted 07-16-2020 10:57
    Hi Mark - thanks for your feedback!! Are you able to provide any details on how to achieve this  - either the first letter trick or splitting up into a range?  I'm not sure how to get there using the conditional values option in the field settings.

Marissa Zepeda

• 4.  RE: Grid Edit - Browse Choices Workaround?

Posted 07-16-2020 11:06
    OK, sure, I'm pretty sure that this will work in grid edit.  (i know it will work on a form).

On your table of stores make a field called [First Letter].  then formula will be
    Left([store name],1)

Make a field called [First Letter] on the child invoice record table.  This field will just be a text field.

on the relationship between invoices and stores for the field [Related Store] make that Conditional where [First Letter] matches the [First Letter] in Stores.

test that works on a form.  ie when you enter "C", you only get stores like "City of .."

If you add that [First Letter] column to the Invoices Grid Edit report, then it should work.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com