Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Capture Timestamped Values of Fields From QuickBase Sync

Posted 09-24-2019 14:25
    I have bit of a brain teaser for my QuickBase Sync table called "Weekly Conversions". Weekly conversions is a raw export from one of our other systems to show the following fields:
    I want to create a report that captures the counts for "Randomized", "Screened", "Completed", "Failed" and "No-Show" from week-to-week. I tested updating the "Date From" and "Date To" columns to different dates that I input manually, however, it only updates the existing record, opposed to adding a new record (which may be intended how it's supposed to work).

I could have the report show records by "Date Created" or "Date Modified", but I realize those methods won't work as well, since they won't let me track anything historically before today, and the values of the fields listed above change on a weekly basis, so it won't record a timestamped value from that respective week; between the Date From/To. Is there another suggested method to capture the values of those fields on a weekly basis? I may be approaching this wrong using QuickBase sync, but was hoping to eliminate manual entry since it's potentially hundreds of records that would need to be updated a week.

------------------------------
    Quincy Adam

• 2.  RE: Capture Timestamped Values of Fields From QuickBase Sync

Posted 10-01-2019 15:28
    Hi Qunicy,

So this is a Quick Base to Quick Base sync or is this data you are updating from a Sync to CSV from another service? I know your data is starting in an outside service but want to be clear how Sync is bringing it over. Most likely what is happening is each time you are importing in your Key field for that table is causing records to be overwritten. There are two ways to alter this, one way is to make the key include the date so that every week it would naturally update and QB would identify it is a new record. For example if each record used an invoice number like 101, 102, 103, etc. My records that I'm bringing in every week would update those with the same invoice number instead of making new records since QB recognizes them as belonging together, I could alter that by making sure my data coming in used a Key of 101-1/1/2019, 101-2/1/2019, etc so that each import is unique because of the date. If it is coming in as a CSV from another service you can do this by recreating the Sync table and selecting a composite key of your current key and a Date field to help tell them apart. 

The other option would be to create an Automation or Action on the Sync table so that every time a record is Added or Modified it would simply add that record as a new record on another table. This way as each record changes each week in the Sync table all that data gets captured and pushed to a manual entry table as a fresh record, so that each version is stored even if they Sync updates. I hope this suggestion is helpful Quincy.

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base