Forum Discussion

SheilaAllas
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Using automations to copy information from one field to another

Has anyone had success with using automations to copy data from one field to another within the same record?  Is this function even possible within automations?

Thanks
Sheila

------------------------------
Thanks,
Sheila

4 Replies

• Hi Sheila!

Sure, this is possible. Automations will trigger when a record is saved (either added or modified).

Here's an example where a Project record is added/modified copy the value from the Status field into the Description field.

The important thing is to filter on Record ID# = Record ID#, so that you only modify the triggering record and not all records. 

If you want the 'copy' to happen without a save (ie while editing the record) you can write a form rule (note form rules will not work with Grid Edit or Import).

Let me know if this is helpful 😊👍

Sharon Faust (QuickBaseJunkie.com)
    Founder, Quick Base Junkie
    https://quickbasejunkie.com
      SheilaAllas
      Qrew Trainee
      Thanks!!!  This was definitely helpful!

Sheila Allas
      ScottJones1
      Qrew Member
      Good morning.  This looks like exactly what I'm trying to do but I don't see were you provided an actual example.  Do you have one (looking for the actual functionality of how to do this)?

Scott Jones
        MattHardy
        Qrew Trainee
        Hi Scott, I think automations are getting phased out so you might want to approach this using pipelines. If it's a one time transfer, automations could work.

If you're looking for a long term solution, pipelines are the way to go. Let me know which solution is more suitable and I (or someone else) should be able to provide an example.

Matt Hardy