Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Ways to Log When a Record is Viewed

Posted 11-13-2019 09:43
    I've never had this use case before and was curious if anyone had any thoughts on this. I have a client who's workflows are highly regulated and they are interested in a way that we can log the Users and Date/Times that a record is opened and viewed by them. So each time a record is opened, they want to know who was looking and when they looked. Any thoughts on this? I'm familiar with setting up native Logging and have looked into the Advanced Logging tool from MCF Tech. Just curious if anyone had anything to offer. Thanks so much!

------------------------------
    Todd Molino

• 2.  RE: Ways to Log When a Record is Viewed

Posted 11-13-2019 10:16
    So they would be taking no action inside the record? Only opening and viewing it? That makes it more difficult.

Looking into Advanced Logging by MCF I believe the only logs database changes. So if no change to your data is happening then it may not work for you. I would contact them to be sure though. 

I'm not sure if there is a native solution but you could definitely do this in Javascript and just have it store the logs in another table. Off the top of my head it would involve the Image On Load technique and custom JavaScript to just watch where the user is. When they load a record it could easily detect that by the URL and make a log entry for that action.

• 3.  RE: Ways to Log When a Record is Viewed

Posted 11-13-2019 10:24
    Thanks for your feedback Austin. It turns out that the Advanced Logging Tool from MCF will log who has simply viewed a record which is great. I'm just curious as to options so I can weight them out and present them. Thanks for your input and I'll certainly take your suggestions into account!

Todd Molino

• 4.  RE: Ways to Log When a Record is Viewed

Posted 11-13-2019 10:28
    Edited by Austin K 11-13-2019 10:29
    Turns out Audit Logs are significantly more robust than I remember last I checked so you may be able to do it natively. That's pretty neat. Sorry to give you some wrong info in my first post.

• 5.  RE: Ways to Log When a Record is Viewed

Posted 11-13-2019 10:26
    Edited by Evan Westbrook 11-13-2019 10:28
    Todd,

QuickBase released the native Audit Log feature earlier this year. You can learn how to set it up for your realm here.

We've been using it for administrative audit purposes for a few months now, and it logs the data points you're after. The only big limitation we've found is that you have to export it to .CSV to do analysis (i.e. there's no API to access the info.)

Evan Westbrook
    PRIME Developer
    Harder Mechanical Contractors Inc.
    Portland OR

• 6.  RE: Ways to Log When a Record is Viewed

Posted 11-13-2019 13:24
    My thought

Create a table to log the visits with a date/time field, a user field, and a related record # field

In the table you want to see when someone visits, create a trigger field such as a checkbox or what not
    Use a form rule that says when the record is saved check the box as well as one to uncheck if it is checked
    Create an automation that when that checkbox field is modified it creates a record in the log table with the date/time and user who last visited the record as well as log the record ID # of the record visited.

You can then create ​​a report to show all records in the log table that the Record ID# matches the Related Record #.​

ProjectsForce