Forum Discussion

WilliamLatimer
Qrew Cadet
6 years ago

How to hide field logging details?

I have a couple of fields with logging enabled.  Although I need the logging details, I want to display those fields values on a different screen/report without it also including the logging details.   Think of initial search results screen (dont show logging details) and details screen (show logging details).

Can I mask or hide the logging details when needed for better readability?

25 Replies

• One option is to use a formula text field to show the last logging details, and you can use that field on a different screen/report.

If using a form, you can use form rules to hide/show fields based on a checkbox.

• Ok, thank you for the response. Let me zone on this and see if I can reproduce what you have shown me.

Thanks,
    William
  • These are the three formulas you will need.

Most recent value (formula text field type)

Trim(Right([my update field],"]"))

Date of most recent update (this needs to be a formula date field)

ToDate(Left(Right([my update field],"["),9))

Who did the most recent update (formula text field type)

Trim(NotLeft(Left(Right([my update field],"["),"]"),9))
  • I already have a second formula text field for each of the fields I am logging.  The formula displays only display the latest/current value.  But because logging is turned on for the 2 primary fields, even when displaying the current value in the formula text field the logging info is also displayed.  That is what I would like to hide or surpress somehow.
  • the 3 columns with logging details are the formula text fields only showing current value which is what I want.  But, I don't want to see the logging info in these fields, I only want to see the logging info in the original field the formula field references.   Does this make sense?
      EverettPatterso
      Qrew Captain
      Are you talking about the [Date - Name] part? You don't want to see that in the formula field references?
  • Sorry, I'm not understanding.   Maybe give just one example of what is in a field and how you want it to show.
  • Yes, I am talking about the Date - Name part.  In the screenshot I shared above, the logging details makes it hard to read the actual values in that list view.  In the subsequent details page, then I do want to see the logging details of Date - Name.
      EverettPatterso
      Qrew Captain
      Ok, you can just make two formula fields. Use one on the list view and use one on the details page.

Last Log Without Date/Name = Trim(Right([My Field],"]"))

Last Log With Date/Name = If([My Field]="", "", Left([My Field], " ") & "] " & Trim(Left(NotLeft([My Field],"]"),"[")))

WilliamLatimer
      Qrew Cadet
      struggling with syntax.  Below is my attempt to do the Last Log Without Date/Name:

QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      My formulas work when logging is done with the newest entries last, the default way of logging