Discussions

View Only
  • 1.  Pipeline and Google Sheet: Append a Row Issue

Posted 01-13-2021 12:16
    Hi -

Looking at the new Google Sheet Pipeline we have been able to successfully use a Quick Base trigger on a record to append a row on a  Google Sheet. However, the issue is that when we append a row any columns that have some type of pre-existing information in it is wiped out. This includes data validation requirements or/and formulas even when we do not specifically map over Quick Base fields to those columns.

Example:
    • Our Google Sheet action maps out fields to populate data from Quick Base into columns A - L.
    • In Columns M - O we do not map any fields over from Quick Base and leave it blank.
      • On the Google Sheet Column M is a Data Validation field showing a list of options our client completes (dropdown list showing Yes, No, NA)
      • On the Google Sheet Column N is blank (for our client to provide their response)
      • On the Google Sheet Column O is a formula field (an If statement based on information in Column A vs. what client places in Column N).
    • After the Pipeline runs the dropdown and formula in Column M and O are now cleared.
    Looking at the Quick Base Pipelines Help page, About Jinja, I read it to indicate that if the field is empty it will not over-ride data. However I'm experiencing something different and was hoping there may have been something I missed to prevent clearing out fields in Column M and O.

------------------------------
    Ken Ken

• 2.  RE: Pipeline and Google Sheet: Append a Row Issue

Posted 01-13-2021 12:30
    Can you post some screen-shots of your Pipelines setup?

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quick Base Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/

• 3.  RE: Pipeline and Google Sheet: Append a Row Issue

Posted 01-13-2021 12:45
    Hi -

Not sure what is most helpful. Here is the general summary of the setup.

Without providing client specific information here is where the fields stop being mapped and how the fields are then left blank (please note I have since added another field so that the original sequence is slightly off above but doesn't change issue).

Ken D

• 4.  RE: Pipeline and Google Sheet: Append a Row Issue

Posted 01-13-2021 13:24
    When you take a look at the output of Step B, is it including the fields for N and O ? According to their documentation, Pipelines is supposed to require {{CLEAR}} to clear a field, but I'm wondering if maybe they are still passing the fields with a null value and maybe Google is accepting that null value as a request to clear the formulas?

Since you are not passing values for those fields, I would suggest removing those from the step altogether and see if that fixes the issue.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    Atlanta GA

• 5.  RE: Pipeline and Google Sheet: Append a Row Issue

Posted 01-13-2021 17:08
    Since nothing in mapped in the Pipeline for N and O there isn't anything to be shown in the Google Sheet. However, the formula and data validation requirement are cleared out after the other fields get populated.

I was under the impression that the {{CLEAR}} was also needed to clear a field which is why I was confused by what was happening.

In Step A I can select the fields from Quick Base that will be used in Step B, but I don't see a way in Step B to not bring in the columns from the Google Sheet that I don't want to be touched.

Thank you for the comment.

Ken D

• 6.  RE: Pipeline and Google Sheet: Append a Row Issue

Posted 01-14-2021 11:32
    Edited by Blake Harrison 01-14-2021 11:33
    Have you tried removing those fields from Step A? I realize that it appears nothing is being sent for those fields in Step B, but I tend to try to eliminate as many options as possible when troubleshooting.

Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    Atlanta GA

• 7.  RE: Pipeline and Google Sheet: Append a Row Issue

Posted 01-18-2021 08:27
    Unfortunately in Step A the only thing I do is pick which Quick Base fields that I will want to bring into Step B. I don't see an option then in Step B to remove / exclude those columns (fields) in the Google Sheet I don't want the Pipeline to touch. It seemed like the only option was to leave those columns blank and not map over a field from Quick Base.

Ken D