Forum Discussion

Re: Displaying most recent and next upcoming record

I replicated your two date summary fields and got results on both ends; so a possible reason why step 5 is returning en empty result is if the Case is not actually connected to the Training Advice.

------------------------------
Laura Thacker (IDS)
laura@intelligentdbs.com
(626) 771 0454

2 Replies

LauraMcFeely
    Qrew Cadet
    Hi Laura, 

Thanks so much for taking the time to test this out, and for helping me think this through. After a good night's sleep, I realized that you're right, of course: I need to connect the cases to the training advice, which is the crucial thing. After thinking about this, I think that the complication of connecting them is ultimately not worth the slight increase in convenience. 

So I'm sorry for wasting your time, but I appreciate that you helped me figure out why it's not worth it!
    Laura
      LauraThacker
      Qrew Captain
      I must assume that your Training Advice and Cases are both connected to a "higher" table somewhere.  If they are both connected to the same "higher" table; then you could possibly do the following.

Summarize to the higher-table the Record ID# of "latest" Training Advice record when it is created
      Use an automation to find all Cases which are not already assigned to a Training Advice, and assign them to the latest Training Advice record which has been summarized to the higher table and added as a Lookup field into the Cases table (Latest Training Advice RID).  This would keep the cycle of connections going without having to manually associate a Case to the Training Advice.

Just food for thought.  Don't give up on a good idea just because it "seems" like too much effort.  Automations have really had a major impact on how applications can improve daily user life.

Laura Thacker (IDS)
      laura@intelligentdbs.com
      (626) 771 0454