Discussions

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

• 1.  Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 09-19-2017 12:46
    Each year i will have number of hoildays , so i need to add in a table as records so from there i need to fetch the holiday dates and calculate in another table where the two date fields are there. Is there any native quickbase option.

• 2.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 09-19-2017 13:55
    Can you tell me how many days out you need to look for holidays.  

Is this looking say just a week out from a date to see if there are any holidays in that span, or is it a longer range between the dates?

• 3.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 09-19-2017 14:35
    Entire Year 

Basically i will have a table called "Off" in that table i will have date field "Hoilday Date" , so i will create 14 or 15 records each year . So those records will be my Holidays for the year.

I have another table "Records" , in that table i have two fields "Start" and "End" date fields , so i will select a date in both two fields , for example 15/09/2017 -  20/09/2017 so basically 16 and 17 are weekends and consider 18-09-2017 [Which i added as a record in "Off" table] is a holiday , then i get the number of days as 3 [15 -09-17, 19-09-17 , 20-09-17] . 

Is there any native quickbase option.

Many Thanks in advance

• 4.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 09-19-2017 14:37
    I actually was looking for an answer to this a little while ago and came up with a solution. I've got an app that needs to calculate an expiration of 15 business days from the date the case was opened, and it needs to work around a couple of preset holidays. 

Here is what my team ended up doing:

First, we made a table called Holidays

We made ours with a single record containing each of the set dates. This is so a low code user can update the holiday calendar without needing to edit any formulas.

Note the denotation of Holiday 1 & 2 dates for Christmas and Thanksgiving- the formula checks these in order, so Holiday 1 will always be the first day off on or around that holiday. 
    For example, in 2018 Christmas falls on a Tuesday, so most companies will take off that Monday (Christmas Eve) and that Tuesday. So in 2018, Christmas Holiday 1 will be 12-24-18 and Holiday 2 will be 12-25-18 (this will make more sense in the formula). 

We made the key field of this record a number that we could reproduce in each of the related tables. In this example we have 3-4 tables that need to calculate this same expiration date. Each Holiday may have many records in the other tables. 

So now we've got a table with Holidays, and the ability to reference each of these dates in our main tables. Next is the expiration formula: 

var date laborday              = [Labor Day];
    var date thanksgiving        = [Thanksgiving];
    var date alsothanksgiving = [Day After Thanksgiving];
    var date christmas            = [Christmas Holiday 1];
    var date alsochristmas      = [Christmas Holiday 2];
    var date newyears            =[New Years Day];
    var date memorialday       =[Memorial Day];
    var date independenceday   =[Independence Day];

var number a = 14;
    var date start = [Date Received];

var number b = $a + If($laborday >= $start and $laborday <= WeekdayAdd($start, $a), 1, 0);
    var number c = $b + If($thanksgiving >= $start and $thanksgiving <= WeekdayAdd($start, $b), 1, 0);
    var number d = $c + If($alsothanksgiving >= $start and $alsothanksgiving <= WeekdayAdd($start, $c), 1, 0);
    var number e = $d + If($christmas >= $start and $christmas <= WeekdayAdd($start, $d), 1, 0);
    var number f  = $e + If($alsochristmas >= $start and $alsochristmas <= WeekdayAdd($start, $e), 1, 0);
    var number g  = $f + If($newyears >= $start and $newyears <= WeekdayAdd($start, $f), 1, 0);
    var number h  = $g + If($memorialday >= $start and $memorialday <= WeekdayAdd($start, $g), 1, 0);
    var number i  = $h + If($independenceday >= $start and $independenceday <= WeekdayAdd($start, $h), 1, 0);

WeekdayAdd($start, $h)

Our standard expiration time for a case is 15 business days including the day it was received so when using the WeekDayAdd formula, this results in WeekDayAdd([Date Received], 14).

What this formula does is take our original expiration formula, checks each of our specified holidays to see if they fall within that range, and increments the work days by one each time we get a match.

Hope this is makes sense. So far it's worked like a dream and our managers (who have little technical acumen) are able to update the holiday calendar with ease.   

• 5.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 11-21-2017 20:59
    Really been trying to make this work, but it keeps throwing an error on me.
    It says : "Formula Error -- Incorrect variable type.The type of the variable does not match the return type of the expression." Not sure what I am doing wrong. May just need a new set of eyes on this...

var date newyearse            =[Holiday - New Years Eve];
    var date newyearsd            =[Holiday - New Years Day];
    var date easter            = [Holiday - Easter-GF];
    var date memorial            = [Holiday - Memorial Day];
    var date julyth            = [Holiday - July 4];
    var date laborday              = [Holiday - Labor Day];
    var date thanksgivingt = [Holiday - Thanksgiving T];
    var date thanksgivingf        = [Holiday - Thanksgiving F];
    var date christmase            = [Holiday - Christmas Eve];
    var date christmasd            = [Holiday - Christmas Day];

var number a = [Duration];
    var date start = [Start];

var number b = $a + If($newyearse >= $start and $newyearse <= WeekdayAdd($start, $a), 1, 0);
    var number c = $b + If($newyearsd >= $start and $newyearsd <= WeekdayAdd($start, $b), 1, 0);
    var number d = $c + If($easter >= $start and $easter <= WeekdayAdd($start, $c), 1, 0);
    var number e = $d + If($memorial >= $start and $memorial <= WeekdayAdd($start, $d), 1, 0);
    var number f = $e + If($julyth >= $start and $julyth <= WeekdayAdd($start, $e), 1, 0);
    var number g  = $f + If($laborday >= $start and $laborday <= WeekdayAdd($start, $f), 1, 0);
    var number h  = $g + If($thanksgivingt >= $start and $thanksgivingt <= WeekdayAdd($start, $g), 1, 0);
    var number i  = $h + If($thanksgivingf >= $start and $thanksgivingf <= WeekdayAdd($start, $h), 1, 0);
    var number j  = $i + If($christmase >= $start and $christmase <= WeekdayAdd($start, $i), 1, 0);
    var number k  = $j + If($christmasd >= $start and $christmasd <= WeekdayAdd($start, $j), 1, 0);

WeekdayAdd($start, $j)

• 6.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 11-21-2017 21:02
    What field type is the field [Duration]? is it a numeric field type?

• 7.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 11-21-2017 21:32
    It is numeric

• 8.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 11-21-2017 22:03
    This last line should probably be
    WeekdayAdd($start, $k)

But that is not the problem with the syntax.

Are all those holiday fields like  [Holiday - New Years Eve] date field types?  Maybe some are the wrong field type?  or [Start] is not a date field type?

• 9.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 11-27-2017 19:22
    Start is a work date but now I have it like this:

var date thanksd            =[Holiday - 17Thanks];
    var date thanksp            =[Holiday - 17Thanks2];
    var date christe            = [Holiday - 17ChristE];
    var date christd            = [Holiday - 17ChristD];

var date start = ToDate([Start]);

var number b = $a + If($thanksd >= $start and $thanksd <= WeekdayAdd($start, $a), 1, 0);
    var number c = $b + If($thanksp >= $start and $thanksp <= WeekdayAdd($start, $b), 1, 0);
    var number d = $c + If($christe >= $start and $christe <= WeekdayAdd($start, $c), 1, 0);
    var number e = $d + If($christd >= $start and $christd <= WeekdayAdd($start, $d), 1, 0);
    var number f = $e + If($newyearse >= $start and $newyearse <= WeekdayAdd($start, $e), 1, 0);
    var number g  = $f + If($newyearsd >= $start and $newyearsd <= WeekdayAdd($start, $f), 1, 0);
    var number h = $g + If($easter >= $start and $easter <= WeekdayAdd($start, $g), 1, 0);
    var number i = $h + If($memorial >= $start and $memorial <= WeekdayAdd($start, $h), 1, 0);
    var number j = $i + If($julyth >= $start and $julyth <= WeekdayAdd($start, $i), 1, 0);
    var number k  = $j + If($laborday >= $start and $laborday <= WeekdayAdd($start, $j), 1, 0);
    var number l  = $k + If($thanksgivingt >= $start and $thanksgivingt <= WeekdayAdd($start, $k), 1, 0);
    var number m  = $l + If($thanksgivingf >= $start and $thanksgivingf <= WeekdayAdd($start, $l), 1, 0);
    var number n  = $m + If($christmase >= $start and $christmase <= WeekdayAdd($start, $m), 1, 0);
    var number o  = $n + If($christmasd >= $start and $christmasd <= WeekdayAdd($start, $n), 1, 0);

WeekdayAdd($start, $o)

• 10.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 11-30-2017 22:02
    One of these must have the mismatch.

I would have to look at you app and check every field on the left side of the equals to check the 12 fields.

Contact me via the info on my website QuickBaseCoach.com

var date start = [Start];

• 11.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 08-23-2018 16:53
    I just successfully did this for a vacation request App that I made.  I used a much simpler method.  In the home settings of your App you can create App wide variables that you can use like normal fields.  This gives you one place to update the holidays (since they change every year) and you don't have to edit formula fields or search among other fields to find the holidays.

Then I created a formula field called "Holiday Adjustment" to calculate any holidays that might fall between the start date and end date of my vacation request:

Sum(
    If([Start Date]<=ToDate([New Year's Day]),If([End Date]>=ToDate([New Year's Day]),1,0),0),
    If([Start Date]<=ToDate([Memorial Day]),If([End Date]>=ToDate([Memorial Day]),1,0),0),
    If([Start Date]<=ToDate([4th of July]),If([End Date]>=ToDate([4th of July]),1,0),0),
    If([Start Date]<=ToDate([Labor Day]),If([End Date]>=ToDate([Labor Day]),1,0),0),
    If([Start Date]<=ToDate([Thanksgiving]),If([End Date]>=ToDate([Thanksgiving]),1,0),0),
    If([Start Date]<=ToDate([Black Friday]),If([End Date]>=ToDate([Black Friday]),1,0),0),
    If([Start Date]<=ToDate([Christmas Eve]),If([End Date]>=ToDate([Christmas Eve]),1,0),0),
    If([Start Date]<=ToDate([Christmas Day]),If([End Date]>=ToDate([Christmas Day]),1,0),0),
    If([Start Date]<=ToDate([New Year's Eve]),If([End Date]>=ToDate([New Year's Eve]),1,0),0)
    )

This will sum up all the Holidays that fall between the start date and end date.  Then, when I calculated the # of vacation days needed to fill in the time between the Start Date and End Date, I was able to subtract out the Holiday Adjustment number:

WeekdaySub([End Date],[Start Date])+1-[Holiday Adjustment]

I have a +1 there because if the employee only takes 1 day off, the Start Date and End Date will be the same, and the WeekdaySub formula will return a 0.

Hope this helps.

• 12.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 05-18-2020 10:40
    I'm trying to get Holidays to show up in a calendar report, do you know of a way to get these variables to affect that? For instance, we have a table called "activities" that each user looks at a calendar report  from to know what they're doing day to day. I'd like to have a way to show holidays so they don't mistakenly schedule things on a day off.

------------------------------
    Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 13.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 05-18-2020 10:47
    Are you looking for a way to have an entry for each Employee for each holiday?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 14.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 05-18-2020 11:09
    Hey Mark. Ideally, I'd rather just block the day off for everyone.

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 15.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 05-18-2020 11:26
    Why not just manually enter the holidays and adjust the report filters so that holidays are seen by all users.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 16.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 05-18-2020 11:45
    Enter them how? Create an activity for each employee for each holiday?

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 17.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 05-18-2020 11:53
    I don't know how you are using your calendar's depending on your needs, either have a holiday type Activity record to show for all calendars, so each employee sees the same instance of the holiday on their calendar, or else if needed, we can discuss how to auto create an Activity entry for each Employee for each holiday. 

It's obviously easier to do the former suggestion.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 18.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 05-18-2020 12:02
    It seems like Holidays are so common they should be natively supported in some manner. None of the solutions I've seen are very elegant or simple.

Our users are using a calendar that is displaying activities to which they are assigned, so a holiday type activity would have to be assigned to them, for them to see it. I wonder how companies with 100s of users are dealing with it... i only have 11 and it's becoming a pain.

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 19.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 05-18-2020 12:10
    Why not just change the filter on the calendar report to include either activities assigned to that specific employee or else activities where a checkbox field [holiday?] is checked.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

• 20.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 05-18-2020 13:37
    So the report is filtered to "current user"... unsure how what you're asking would work.

Thanks,
    Chris Newsome

• 21.  RE: Removing Holidays and Weekends between two dates and calculating days

Posted 05-18-2020 13:40
    change it to an Any of the following

when 
    [Assigned to] = current user
    [holiday] is checked.

ie make a new checkbox field called [Holiday?] and then enter in all the holidays as Activity record for at least the next year.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Your Quick Base Coach
    mark.shnier@gmail.com