Forum Discussion

_anomDiebolt_
Qrew Elite
8 years ago

Service Worker Travel Log - Day 8

Day 8 - Warning! Warning! Alien spacecraft approaching!

I first learned about Service Workers a little over year ago during a casual hallway conversation with another developer at a technical conference. At the time there was not a lot of information available and Google and Mozilla were taking their first steps releasing Service Workers in their Chrome and FireFox browsers. While it is still early days for Service Workers, today there is a growing amount of documentation, tutorials, blog posts, utilities and developer tooling available. However, it can still take a considerable amount of time to wrap your head around Service Workers because they are unlike other features traditionally found in browsers.

Here is a blog post that is both helpful and humorous and uses a novel metaphor to explain that a Service Worker is just "an alien you can invite to live on user's browser":

Service Worker, what are you ?
https://kosamari.com/notes/Service-Worker-what-are-you

Calling out warnings and summoning aliens may paint a picture that Service Workers are difficult or even dangerous. That is not the case. Some of the brightest minds in the industry have contributed to the technology and major companies are implementing Service Worker technology for a variety of reasons.

In fact, Service Workers are a core technology in the larger trend named Progressive Web Apps (PWA). Here is an overview presentation from a recent Google I/O event that explains PWA in greater detail:

I have a prediction that by Empower 2018 you will see both the core QuickBase product and independent developers offer many new features, products and services that move whole QuickBase ecosystem in this PWA direction.

Next Up: Day 9 - I Forgot To Mention This
No RepliesBe the first to reply