Forum Discussion

Winss
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Documentation on using JavaScript in quickbase

Where is the documentation on using javascript in QuickBase? I was searching in google for javascript in QuickBase documentation but I couldn't find any. Please give me the link to the documentation.

------------------------------
Aswin Babu

8 Replies

AngelRodriguez
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    You would more than likely refer to the Code Pages documentation and the RESTful API documentation, too. The RESTful API documentation is nice because it demonstrates how to use jQuery and the Fetch API with code pages. Other than that, I'm not sure where else you'd find other JavaScript documentation for QuickBase unless you search around a bit on the community forums. I'm sure other users have some input on this as well.

AR
      Winss
      Qrew Trainee
      In RESTful API documentation page its mostly about writing query, but i need javascript mainly to bring more programmatic ability to some auto-generated fields in records. In many Q&A I have seen experts giving answers by using js. If there is a doc I can  program myself, but there seems no docs. related with this.

Aswin Babu
        AustinK
        Qrew Commander
        It isn't very intuitive on their site but keep in mind that you can select the code you want to see on there. You have to do it for every single thing you view but you can see a code example in JavaScript or even JavaScript ES6. It can be tough to smash many code examples together from this website but it may help give a starting point if you did not notice this before.

AustinK
    Qrew Commander
    Even if there was documentation on this it would be outdated now. Quickbase is trying their best to remove the ability for the average user to use JavaScript directly on a form or anywhere except for a code page. Things are in the process of changing right now so I would say many things are sort of "up in the air" at this time.

Now that they have started this they have created some examples showing how to utilize code pages better with JavaScript on their blog, which I always forget to check. https://community.quickbase.com/blogs/graham-leto2/2021/03/02/code-page-samples?CommunityKey=d860b0f8-6a48-487b-b346-44c47a19a804

Many of the things in here are just a collection of what the community has done in the past with code pages. I didn't see anything actually new here but there might be some hidden gem. It will definitely help if you are not familiar with using code pages.
      Winss
      Qrew Trainee
      Thank you Austin. I will check it out

Aswin Babu