Forum Discussion

DavidHalter2
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Filter a lookup table based on a date in the current record?

Hi:

I'm working with staff / managers and activity tables. Each staff --> multiple activities.  Let's say I want to enter an activity for last week, but this week one of my staff was promoted to a manager.  The new manager shows up in my activity form under "managers" not under "staff" because the lookup field provides the staff table filtered on current status rather than on last week's status. And, let's say I go to edit one of the prior activity records, my new manager starts causing problems by not really being a proper staff person anymore, even though he was a staff person at the time of the record entry. 

I've tried multiple things but can't seem to hit on the right solution.  For example, I've made an "assignments" table with start and end dates. Staff with multiple assignments and activities with multiple assignments.  Then tried a conditional drop-down based on the date field, but it doesn't give me a 'between' two dates, it only gives me a choice to match dates exactly...  Surely I'm not the first person to try to do this.  I imagine this can come up regularly in a business situation, whether people move departments or get promoted, or move locations. You don't want their new data showing up in older records and making changes there. Any ideas?

Dave

------------------------------
Dave Halter

2 Replies

• If you want a lookup field to "freeze" once looked up, then you can use a snapshot field type

https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/setting_up_snapshot_fields.html

Conceptis you have your normal look up field but then in addition to that you have a field of the same type as the look up field but you set the field properties at the bottom of the field properties page to snapshot a frozen value when the record is initially saved and never change it.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      DavidHalter2
      Qrew Member
      Thanks Mark

No I don't think that's quite it. But, I have used some snapshots here.

And I've kinda decided that it probably shouldn't be a big deal. For those few times it is, the person involved can maybe pick a less busy time, switch back to the old status, and then switch back to the new status. It'd probably be fine.

Dave

Dave Halter