Forum Discussion

DavidHalter2
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Filtered tables and search

Hi Quickbase community:

I posted many times recently because I was on a trial period for my organization.  We may eventually go with quickbase, but for the moment are on pause with that process. 

One of the test users I had review the initial application asked a question which I was unable to answer before the end of the test period.  The following is my best to describe the situation. 

2 questions actually come out of this description.

I have 3 tables: Locations, Customers, and Users.  Each location has many customers, and each location has many users. -- [(Yes, each customer could have multiple locations and each user could have multiple locations, but it doesn't actually make sense to give the customers multiple locations in my situation and adding that bit of complexity about the users doesn't help me ask the question here and won't affect the answer, I don't think)].

I set up a field in USERS where IsCurrentUser = 1 for currentUser and 0 for non-current user.  Using summary, formula, and lookup fields this value is passed to the Customers table such that when the customer's location is the same as the current user's location, then a field, say IsAtCurrentUsersLocation = 1 in the Customer table.  Every customer with a different location will get a 0 in that field.  Thus, each user can have a default view of Customers where IsAtCurrentUsersLocation = 1, meaning they see only customers at their own site.

So, 2 questions arise:
1) when I'm the only user, or there were only a couple of test users, this arrangement works fine.  What happens if 2 users from 2 different locations are simultaneously accessing the database?  In theory, User A and B at two locations will each tag a location with a 1 and therefore customers at locations A and B will both show up for user A, even though location B would be wrong.  Is this indeed a possibility? Or is this really not ever going to show up?

2) Then the question that arose from my test user:  he saw a problem when he was viewing the default filtered table which showed only Customers at his current location.  He noticed that when using the search function on that page, it was showing him results from all locations, not just the filtered location, let's say it was Michigan.  Thus, if we had John Smith in Maryland, John Smith in Michigan, John Smith in Massachusetts, and John Smith, Jr, in Maine, he was going to see all those search results instead of just the John Smith from Michigan.  As you can imagine, this would lead to incorrect choices, but he was also concerned about performance.

Any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks,
Dave

------------------------------
Dave Halter

5 Replies

• For your question first question, there will be no problem.  The system treats each user separately and each will see what hey are supposed to see if you have the report filtered correctly.

When you are on the Table Home page, you can control what report is used by Role.  If do not specify a report then what is called the default report will show and that has no filters on it.   But it is your choice as to which report to use for the table homepage report and you can actually set that globally for all users or you can send it individually by role. So I presume what the problem is is that you have not set any report for the table homepage therefore all users will see our records. 

To set the Table Home Page report, go to the table home page and then click "Customize his page." 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      DavidHalter2
      Qrew Member
      Mark:

Thanks for that about the 1st question. There's a lot riding on that IsCurrentUser field and would be bad if that broke the whole thing!

Re: the second part.  That's exactly it: I set up the role that he was testing to have a Table Home page to show a report that was filtered based on that user's location.  So show the customer if IsAtCurrentUsersLocation = 1 then show the Customer -- everyone else was filtered out.  BUT from what he said, when he used the search box on that page with the report as set up, he indicated he was seeing Customers from other locations in addition to Customers from the current location.  Do you think that was what was happening?  Or is that not really possible?

Thanks
      Dave

Dave Halter
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        Its not possible.  The box on top of a report is a filter box, not a search box. It only make the results of a report smaller, not larger.

But its easy enough to test. You can click near your name at the top right and  so a test as User.  You can impersonate any user (for viewing but not actually making edits).

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com