Forum Discussion

HansHamm
Qrew Assistant Captain
3 years ago

KANBAN

I have a Kanban report showing associates by Team Number. In each individual record I have their immediate supervisor as well as the next tiered supervisor. 
The question is. If I move an associate from Team 1 (with its supervisors) to Team 2 (with a different set) is there anyway to automatically change the managers without going into the record and manually updating it?

------------------------------
Hans Hamm

7 Replies

• Hi Hans,

One of the app builds that is used for this kind of workflow is to create a parent table to your current table that is your Team table. It would contain information like the Team Number, Supervisors, etc. You would then set your relationship up so that when someone picks a Team Number they are actually pulling down all the information for that team down from the parent table. Then if you changed the Team a user is associated with it pulls down the correct Supervisors and other team specific information instead of having to manually change any of your fields that holds that information for them. It can take a little set up to get in place but then it allows you that ability to simplify updating that information (especially in the future if you for example had a Supervisor leave and needed to suddenly find everyone assigned to them and update you would instead update that one team record).

Evan Martinez
      HansHamm
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Evan,
      So, I built a Team table and related it back to the associate table..
      That is when I realized (did not know this) that the only fields in the Kanban are multi-choice fields.
      I am not sure I follow how to get the Team Number to work. If I use it in the relationship it is no longer available as field the chart can be based upon... Can you explain a little bit more of what I am missing??

Hans Hamm
        EvanMartinez
        Quickbase Staff
        Hi Hans,

Do you have a large number of teams currently or only a small number of teams? I didn't realize you were using the Team Number field as the field in your Kanban report as the sort field. Cause one option would be to leave it on the multiple choice manual field and set up a Pipeline to change their related Team (and the related team info like supervisor, etc.) when the team changes but that is a lot easier with a small number of teams and harder with a large number of teams. This would allow you to keep the kanban behavior and then in the background the Pipeline would help reset their associated supervisors, etc.

Evan Martinez