Forum Discussion

HannahEngelson
Qrew Trainee
9 months ago

Pipeline to highlight only changed fields

Hello! I'm trying to create an email notification that kicks out when there is a change to a record. I've looked at the email notifications and the default message includes a copy of the record with the information changed in red. Is there a way to put that or something similar into a Pipeline trigger with changes highlighted somehow? There are several reasons I don't like the email notifications option but we are using like 15 fields and I can't find a way to highlight what actually was changed in Pipelines. Thank you!

------------------------------
Hannah Engelson

8 Replies

• You can use the $prev syntax within a field reference in Pipelines as a way to look at the prior value. You may have to get creative with your email but you can highlight the value of a field and its prior value using {{a.field}} and {{a.$prev.field}}. 

What that means for your email is a little trickier - you could do something super generic like: 

Field Value: Current: {{a.field}} / Prior: {{a.$prev.field}}

If you want a more styled email you'll probably have to get creative with doing {% if %} conditions to check if the value is different and then try and change the email accordingly. 

Chayce Duncan
      HannahEngelson
      Qrew Trainee

This is a helpful start. Thank you!

Hannah Engelson
      HannahEngelson
      Qrew Trainee

Chayce, when able, could you give an example of what the if statement would look like? I was able to do the $prev and it works great. But I only want the fields that changed to show the previous vs new value.

Hannah Engelson
        ChayceDuncan
        Qrew Captain

Sure - here is the full online documentation  for using Jinja but also below: 

{% if a.field != a.$prev.field %} {{ do something here }} {% endif %}

If you need to handle the else if condition you would do 

{% if a.field != a.$prev.field %} {{ do something here }}

{% else %} {{do something else}}

{% endif %}

So if your values aren't the same you might just display {{a.field}} like: 

{% if a.field != a.$prev.field %} {{ a.field }} {% endif %}

Chayce Duncan