Forum Discussion

EmberKrumwied1
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago
Solved

Advance Copy/Paste Row Data

Just got started with Quick Base only 10 days ago and am loving the product!

I have a table to record various actions to be completed.  When an action is added a user can specify how often that action will repeat, i.e. Annually, Monthly, etc.  This table also has a Completed checkbox for each action.

What I'm trying to accomplish is this:
  • user marks an action as Completed (by clicking the checkbox) - Trigger Event
  • entire row is copied and pasted as a new row (in the same table)
  • the field [DueDate] of the NEW record is recalculated to advance based on the selection in the [PeriodType] field
[PeriodType] options are Annually, Monthly, Quarterly, One Time and Final. 

Example:
Current record: [ActionType] = File Report; [PeriodType] = Monthly; [DueDate] = 05/01/2020
User updates the Completed checkbox to Yes, then
New record: [ActionType] = File Report; [PeriodType] = Monthly; [DueDate] = 06/01/2020

If the [PeriodType] was Annually the new date would be 05/01/2021; if Quarterly it would be 08/01/2020.
If One Time or Final are selected, a new record automation should NOT be triggered when the Completed checkbox is updated.

I hope this makes sense and that there is a OTB solution to automate this process.  Thank you in advance for any assistance.

------------------------------
Ember Krumwied
  •  Well welcome to the club. I have been using QuickBase since 2002 and I still think it's the greatest thing ever invented. But it keeps getting better every month with new releases a new features.
    What you were looking for is very easy to do. You will use a feature called automations. The trigger for the automation will be when the record is  edited and is flagged as being completed.
    So it's very easy to have the automation create a new record when that happens but the issue is that your trigger record, i.e. the one that was completed, needs to have the information as to where the next due date is.
    So that is just a matter of creating a formula for the formula date field so the completed record knows when it successor record is due.
    There are a whole variety of date functions, but one that you will find useful is

AdjustMonth([Due Date], n)

where n is the number of months to adjust 

Feel free to post back if you need help with the formula for the next due date.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com

2 Replies

•  Well welcome to the club. I have been using QuickBase since 2002 and I still think it's the greatest thing ever invented. But it keeps getting better every month with new releases a new features.
    What you were looking for is very easy to do. You will use a feature called automations. The trigger for the automation will be when the record is  edited and is flagged as being completed.
    So it's very easy to have the automation create a new record when that happens but the issue is that your trigger record, i.e. the one that was completed, needs to have the information as to where the next due date is.
    So that is just a matter of creating a formula for the formula date field so the completed record knows when it successor record is due.
    There are a whole variety of date functions, but one that you will find useful is

AdjustMonth([Due Date], n)

where n is the number of months to adjust 

Feel free to post back if you need help with the formula for the next due date.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      EmberKrumwied1
      Qrew Trainee
      Thank you Mark.  Your formula gave me the starting point I needed.

Ember Krumwied