Forum Discussion

WilliamHunter2
Qrew Member
11 months ago

API HELP

So I am very confused here. I am developing a software to update some of the necessary fields in QuickBase for us, however, I am getting this error. 

Error:

"Can not change the value of the formula field with ID \"17\"."

And as you can see it is stating it can not change the value of a formula field nor will it do a reference field or lookup field. However, with the button we currently utilize within QuickBase this is exactly how we do this. 

Button Code:

Now in QuickBase I only see one type of API call to both insert and update a WO, so is there some way with an external API call I can do this also? 

QuickBase docs:

------------------------------
William Hunter

6 Replies

• You seem to be asking two different questions and I will try to answer the first one. Indeed you cannot manually nor with an API edit a look up or a formula field.  If you want to change the value have a look up field then you need to change the value in the related parent field so that it will pull from a different parent record .

If you look at the code that you posted for what the button does it is not editing a look up fields it is at editing the related parent fields  

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      WilliamHunter
      Qrew Trainee

So, essentially if I am understanding correctly the API_GenAddRecordForm has the ability to pass information to lookup/reference fields, but external API calls do not? Because fields 8,16, and 17 that the button fills are all reference or lookup fields. This is my essentially my only overall question, is there a way like with the API_GenAddRecordForm, utilized in the button, I can pass data to the reference fields with an external API call? 

William Hunter
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

I think you were mixing up your terminology. The reference field in a relationship can be a scalar field, meaning a data entry field. So yes, you can pass values into it with an API.

Once you establish the reference field on the right hand, side of the relationship, the look up fields automatically come down from the parent record. They cannot be edited. 

mark.shnier@gmail.com

• The GenAddRecordForm is not adding a record, it's just opening up a new record form.  You can pass any information to the new form to prefill fields, but if the field is a lookup or formula, what will happen, I wonder?    ;)

Tim Wise
      MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend

Sorry, I'm not understanding your last post .... is there a question there?

mark.shnier@gmail.com