Forum Discussion

ShawnClarke
Qrew Member
10 months ago

Auto-populating from one table to other tables

Hello!  Really new to QB and I have been tasked with learning how to auto-populate.  Here is what I have going:

One table has products that are incoming from a customer.  These products are checked in and then sent to one of three testing labs. The testing labs each have their own tables. I need to be able to fill out the product information in the incoming product table then it automatically send that information to the correct table for the testing lab.  

I was told I need a pipeline but I do not think that is the case? Any help would be appreciated!

------------------------------
Shawn Clarke

1 Reply

• I would hope you have a relationship where one incoming record has many Lab testing records. In fact, since unfortunately the lab testing tables are split into three separate tables. Then you would have to have three relationship so that you know the source of which lab test.

AsIn fact, since unfortunately the lab testing tables are split into three separate tables. Then you would have to have three relationships so that you know the source of each lab test.

As an aside, in hindsight, unless there is something really different between these three tables, it would be better to have one table for lab tests, and just identify which lab that test is being done in. That way you can consolidate reporting and you don't have triplicate type maintenance.

unless there is something really different between these three tables, it would be better to have one table for lab tests, and just identify which lab that test is being done in. That way you can consolidate reporting and you don't have triplicate type maintenance.

But going back to your question.  You can either have a Pipeline trigger when some trigger field is updated on the incoming record, and it would create a lab record and record the record ID of the incoming record to populate the relationship so that it knows which incoming record it came from.

You can either have a Pipeline trigger when some trigger field is updated on the incoming record, and it would create a lab record and record the record ID of the incoming record to populate the relationship so that it knows which incoming record came from.

The alternative is that you could have a Formula URL button to click whenever you are ready, or maybe three of them depending on whether or not there's an indication on the incoming record of which lab you want to send it to, and that button could create the lab record and land you either on the lab record or back on the original incoming record. 

So bottom line it can be done with a Pipeline or a URL formula button. I suppose the pipeline is a little less technical but we can help you either way you want to go.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com