Forum Discussion

RyanSherman1
Qrew Member
5 years ago

Auto population/edit related fields

Good Morning, 

Brand New to the quick base family, I am about 5 days into my trial and have already solved a very complex workflow issue for my multiple companies (yay), however I am hitting a road block on a specific item. 

I have a table ( referral table) with an automation set up to that populates a second table that employee #2 references and tracks down a specific document for the customer in that specific table (Prescription Tracker). 

When Employee #2 checks the box in a specific column in the prescription tracker table, I would like that answer to populate to any table that references that customer.  I thought I could do this through quick actions under edit related fields, but its blanked out when I go into the quick base quick action, or I am way off base and need to be steered back to a different part of the software to make this possible. 

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

Thanks

------------------------------
Ryan Sherman

6 Replies

• Hi Ryan,

I'm really glad to hear you using the trial and already jumping into some complex workflows and automations after 5 days. When you are using the Action and it blanks out do you mean that the whole action is blanked when you try to create an action or is a specific option or field blanked out?

Evan Martinez
      RyanSherman1
      Qrew Member
      Hi;

Thank you for responding; I did a poor job of explaining everything; basically What I'm attempting is that one column in table B that is checked; auto populates that check mark across all the tables for that particular customer.

What is the easiest way to do that?

Ryan Sherman MS OTR/L
      Owner | Partner
      Theraplay4kidz DBA Arizona Autism
      Direct: 602.319.7324
      Fax: 602.682.7811

The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it.
      NOTICE: Arizona Autism (aka Theraplay4Kidz, LLC) has no direct association with Arizona Autism United. The information contained in this message may be privileged, confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to this message and deleting it.

------Original Message------

Hi Ryan,

I'm really glad to hear you using the trial and already jumping into some complex workflows and automations after 5 days. When you are using the Action and it blanks out do you mean that the whole action is blanked when you try to create an action or is a specific option or field blanked out?

Evan Martinez
        EvanMartinez
        Qrew Elite
        Hi Ryan,

It is possible to do that with Automations and pass values across records like that. One question I would have first is if there is an action you can take on a customer that would check a checkbox in all of their related records is there a reason why this shouldn't be stored on the customer record and passed down as a lookup field to all the child records via a relationship? This would then require no extra steps and the customer record would become the source of truth for whether that checkbox is checked. You could then limit the access to that field to only those who should be flipped that checkbox, it passes to any table you set up a lookup for and when you want to uncheck that checkbox if it was a mistake or it is time to remove it for your workflow you uncheck that one checkbox and don't have to hunt it down in every table and uncheck it or also set up a web of Automations to uncheck it. This is especially true if you don't want others to uncheck that checkbox in the child records or if that checkbox should also be checked for any new records that are added after it is checked as well as existing records. When there is an override by that having it exist in one place and cascade down can help to simplify the workflow and avoid extra steps. If you want to go the Automation route you can see an example of that below. 

If you are looking to trigger something like that I would suggest using an Automation actually. With an Automation you can set it an automation for each table that should be changed and have it trigger to only change records that have the same Related Customer value. You would just want to match the Related Customer (In my example related company) in your triggering record to the Related Customer in your other tables so you target only the right records for change. Then you can set that checkbox field to be checked as well in the other records. You would just need one for every table that contains a record with that checkbox field. I have included some screenshot examples below and I hope these suggestions are helpful. 

Evan Martinez