Forum Discussion

JenniferMiller
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Best practices - combining two apps to one

Looking for advice on best practices.

I currently have two related apps that, as they've evolved, I am thinking would make much more sense to be in one app... for better user experience, easier/cleaner reporting, and easier/cleaner API calls from/to external systems.  My concern with doing this is the number of fields already on each table.  By combining the tables in these apps, I would end up with over 750 fields on one table... should I be concerned with performance issues if I do this?  We use these applications to drive our daily production operations so performance issues would be a huge concern.

------------------------------
Jennifer Miller

2 Replies

• That number of fields will not really affect performance and you have said that these apps are Related, which I take to mean that hey are full of cross app relationships.  So they operate single threaded in one process even though they are two apps.  So from a Performance point of view they are linked anyways into one big app under the covers.

One ting to check is hat the max table size is 500 MB and space only counts for data entry fields and not summary, formula or lookup fields.  So if you currently have a lot of look up fields going back-and-forth they are not they are only counting for space in the data entry source of truth record and not in the look up field onto the other app.

So my opinion is that space is probably a bigger concern than performance.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JenniferMiller
      Qrew Member

Thanks so much Mark!  We are only at 49MB in one app (between 5 tables) and 39MB in the other app (between 2 tables) currently and will be working on a solution to archive old data on a regular basis, so I'm hopeful that space won't be an issue, but that is great to know ��

Thank you,

Jennifer Miller