Forum Discussion

KyleMcAfee
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Calculate Labor across Multiple Tables

Good Afternoon,

Can someone get me pointed in the right direction on calculating labor markup, overhead markup, insurance markup and equipment markup?

I have for the last 2 years been hardcoding [labor to quote[ = [labor cost] X 1.25, Overhead = [all expenses] X 1.25, [Insurance cost] = [all expenses] X 0.03....

Tables involved:

• Estimator Table - Parent
    • Labor Table - Child
    • Equipment Table – Child

Now, I have created 1 record inside of a table named Accounting with [Markup Percent – Labor], [Markup Percent – Equipment], [Insurance Percent] and [Overhead Percent].  I went ahead and changed out the precents from the hard coding to the name of the field from the joined table.  Needless to say, it does not change the record values because it wants the user to click on the one lookup record between the Estimator Table and the new Accounting table.  If there is only one record in the Accounting Table but still wants the user to select it before it does the math.  Not ideal.  What am I doing wrong?

Secondly, how would I go about allowing accounting director to enter new % records, then save the new records and then Estimator Table would only use  the most recent percentages from the small, but growing table Accounting Table?  The estimator table would save a record with the most up to date percentages that was pulled in from the Account Table.  Keep in mind, these percentages are not visible to most users so clicking on a drop down to grab the most recent percent line is not what I am looking for.

I would appreciate help on both options, but either one is fine if the other is super complex.

Thanking you in advance for the help!!!

PS – Anyone know any QuickBase users or Developers from the Manila area of the Philippines?

Kyle McAfee

Estimating & Database Design

SHH Logistics LLC

15171 Cronewood Lane

Memphis, IN 47143

Phone: 812.989.4171 / 973.229.9099

KMcAfee@SuporHeavyHaul.com

www.SuporHeavyHaul.com

WBE Certified Business

2 Replies

• It sounds like you have a admin tape record where there is only one record that gives the current rates.  

That record will be record ID number one.  

I suggest that you build a relationship from this admin record which has the current rates down to your detail records Using a reference field which is a formula numeric field with a formula of one. 

I suggest that you then look up those overhead rates down to the details table and suffix them with the word (look up) in their name.

Then I suggest that you use three new fields of the same numeric tape as the look up fields and set the field property for those fields to be Snapshot fields.    https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/setting_up_snapshot_fields.html

That way the look up values will be frozen at the time the detailed record is created but from time to time the master table of the overhead rates can be changed.  

------------------------------
    Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
    ------------------------------
      KyleMcAfee
      Qrew Trainee
      Thanks Mark.  I will try it.

Best regards,
      Kyle McAfee