Forum Discussion

Mohamed_HannanS
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Connected table Key field is not updating

Hi All, 

I have  two applications ( App1 and App 2) , One of the table from app 1(Projects )  is connected to app2 . 

The refresh key is the record id and  key of that table to other table in app 2 is project number. 

When ever there is a change in app1 - Projects table all the data is correctly  populated in app2 projects table, except the project no. 

When ever there is change in project number which is a key field in app2 projects table the column is not updated with the latest  value. 

And also it is not creating any new record for  the same. 

Kindly advise. 

------------------------------
Mohamed Hannan Sait

10 Replies

• I have a feeling that I cannot prove, that when the Connected Sync Table  has a key field which is different from the refresh key, there can be some buggy behavior.
     My guess is that if you put in a ticket for this to QuickBase they will come back with some kind of known bug number and perhaps no timeframe to correct.
    In that case you may need to resort to some kind of Plan B Safety net. If you include in the sink table and mirror Field of the project number i.e. create a formula equal to the project number in table LA and sink that across, I am quite sure that the project number from the mirror Field will come across correctly. That would at least allow you to detect this problem situation.

If your situation is such that you actually have no data entry in table 2 then you could change the refresh method to add records but do not delete. Then you can manually delete all the records and then turn the Sync on normally again and refresh her table.

But if your table B has additional manual data entry field plan that is not going to work.

I think your next step actually is to put in a support ticket and see if they come back and say that it is a known bug. And then based on that response decide on  what kind of safety net and work around options there are. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    markshnier2@gmail.com
      MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
       Another suggestion is to go through the steps I suggested to change the sink to add records but do not delete, then delete all the records and then put it back to sync exactly.
      It is possible that since you have already made the key field  change in table B that the Sync  will work properly this time when you change the Project No. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      markshnier2@gmail.com
        Mohamed_HannanS
        Qrew Trainee
        Thanks Mark for your quick response. 

I did raise a ticket with Quickbase support team  , they replied  to me saying this is the usual behaviour.

And one thing  which i cannot understand is that they said if there is change in key field then a new row will be created  in connected table which is not  happening currently. 

And in my connected table there are around 10 formula field and relationship from and to other tables but there are no manual entries field , is it advisable  to delete all records and refresh again. 

Kindly advise. 

Regards
        Mohamed Hannan

Mohamed Hannan Sait
  • HI Mohamed,

I agree with Mark regarding the problem of having two different key fields. I had this problem before and now that Quick Base can schedule a table to table import via an automation, it has solved my problem. Using a table to table import, you can use different fields to match your data. As long as the source table contains a field to match your key field in the target, it should work.

Gilbert Spigelman
      MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
      Gilbert, thx for chiming in because I have had this problem with another app and it felt buggy to me.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      markshnier2@gmail.com