Forum Discussion

JohnButler
Qrew Member
9 months ago

Connecting tables from one app to another in the same realm

I am new to Quickbase and have been tasked with making some changes to one of the apps.  I tried to copy the app completely but, it was too large and was not an option.  I then copied the app without the data and it worked.  Now, I am in need of connecting the data rather exporting from one and importing to the copied app.  Is this possible and if so how?  Also, if it is possible, will users of the New App be able to enter data on it and not effect the old?  I am unfamiliar with tokens and api requests in QB so any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated

------------------------------
John B

2 Replies

• Welcome to Quickbase John! There are lots of ways to share data between apps, and they each work slightly differently and have implications to consider. If you haven't already, I encourage you to read this article that explains the different methods and outlines the pros & cons of each.

• Sync will replicate data from App A to App B on a schedule. 
      • The Sync'd data from App A is read-only in App B.
      • App B can have additional data entry fields to collect more data and use it with the data that syncs from App A. 
    • Table-to-Table Imports are another way to do this natively but there are other things to consider
      • There is no native function to have these run on a schedule, they're done on-demand
      • Data from App A is editable in App B, but will be overwritten by data from App A on the next import
    • Pipelines can be used to replicate the data from App A to App B on a schedule, and the data in App B will be editable there. 
      • Additional logic, transformation, and other operations can be added to a Pipeline which makes it very powerful

In order to make the best decision it's important to know the full user behavior and experience you want to achieve, e.g. what are users doing in App A vs. App B?, are they meant to be a connected pair of apps long-term? How is the data used in each app? 

If you have an Enablement Services plan, I encourage you to connect with your services manager to discuss options. If you don't have an enablement services plan, I encourage you to connect with your Account Executive who can arrange for some extra help from one of our experts. 

Either way, sharing data across apps is a powerful concept and we want to help you master the different methods so you can be successful long-term. Let your account team know how we can help!

David McCormick
    dmccormick@quickbase.com
      JohnButler
      Qrew Member

Thank you for your reply.  I have reached out with a support ticket as well as to the Account Executive and haven't heard back.  Is there a fast way to reach someone and possibly resolve this today?  Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

John Butler